Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Installing KDE 3.2 via Konstruct

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    13

    Installing KDE 3.2 via Konstruct

    Hi, I'm trying to upgrade the KDE 3.2 with Konstruct and I have a question which is so simple I can't believe I havn't found the answer already. I had a few hangups compiling to begin with, but after installing the proper stuff it seems to be working.

    now, they want me to put the following in the .bash_profile

    export QTDIR=~/kde3.2
    export KDEDIR=~/kde3.2
    export KDEDIRS=~/kde3.2

    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/kde3.2/lib
    export PATH=~/kde3.2/bin:$PATH

    My question, where on earth is my .bash_profile .profile ...etc
    I know this is a newbie question, but I've done every search I can think of and can't find an answer.

    I tried the /etc/bashrc file and also the /etc/skel/bashrc and either they aren't working right or I'm doing something wrong. If I do have to use those general files instead of one for each user I think that KDE won't work right for other users besides the one I'm compiling this for since the actual KDE install is in my home directory (/root)

    I tried adding the line $HOME/.profile in both the /etc/bashrc and the etc/skel one and tried making some aliases in a .profile I created in my home directory, none of which worked when I logged back in.

    Akk, can someone straighten me out?

    thanks,

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    19
    Tried this and could not find .bash_profile either. If anyone has any ideas I'd be very greatful.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    On my debian system in my home is .bash_profile and .bashrc, so here they are:

    .bash_profile:
    # ~/.bash_profile: executed by bash(1) for login shells.
    # see /usr/share/doc/bash/examples/startup-files for examples.
    # the files are located in the bash-doc package.

    umask 022

    # include .bashrc if it exists

    if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
    source ~/.bashrc
    fi
    And .bashrc:
    # ~/.bashrc: executed by bash(1) for non-login shells.
    # see /usr/share/doc/bash/examples/startup-files (in the package bash-doc)
    # for examples

    # If running interactively, then:
    if [ "$PS1" ]; then

    # enable color support of ls and also add handy aliases

    eval `dircolors -b`
    alias ls='ls --color=auto'
    alias ll='ls -l'
    alias la='ls -A'
    alias l='ls -lA'
    alias stx='startx'
    alias stx1='startx -- :1'
    alias nano='nano -w -p'
    alias pico='nano'
    # set a fancy prompt

    PS1='\u@\h:\w\$ '

    # If this is an xterm set the title to user@host:dir
    case $TERM in
    xterm*)
    PROMPT_COMMAND='echo -ne "\033]0;${USER}@${HOSTNAME}: ${PWD}\007"'
    ;;
    *)
    ;;
    esac

    fi

    if [ `whoami` = "root" ]; then
    PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11
    export PATH
    fi

    # set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists

    if [ -d ~/bin ] ; then
    PATH=~/bin:"${PATH}"
    export PATH
    fi
    HTH

    ~rock

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    13

    Ok, found it, sorta.

    Well, the bash_profile and bashrc don't seem to be there. However, you can add the stuff to the /etc/profile file and it will run when you log in. I suppose if I want to make people have separate profiles from there I can have it call $HOME/.profile or something but since all I'm using right now is root anway I don't care.

    But I was having some odd problems trying to get into it. After I compiled it and set the environment variables it still went to the old KDE login screen for KDE 3.15 or something. After fumbling around for a bit I figured out what to do. From the kde login screen you need to tell it to log in from the regular console, once it drops to the command line, login as whatever user name you used konstruct to compile it with and then type kdm

    Well, now that I'm in, its totally awesome! KDE 3.2 is the best interface I've ever used, a complete joy.

    Anywho, how can I change my graphical login manager so that it uses kdm instead of.... well, whatever its using now?

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    19
    That's the problem--it IS using kdm right now...just the wrong one!!!

Similar Threads

  1. installing knoppix vs installing Linux from scratch
    By jza in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-03-2003, 11:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Digital Movie Poster (USB-flash drive) picture

Digital Movie Poster (USB-flash drive)

$100.00



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$282.00



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00