Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: From Knoppix to a Debian developer's machine

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    16

    From Knoppix to a Debian developer's machine

    Hi,

    I need some headers and source code but I don't want to mess with my system too much to render it unusable as I am really enjoying it.

    Yesterday I tried to compile the latest version of Wine and it asked for the xfree headers.
    I'll need gtk+ headers as well for the Ruby-Gnome2 bindings.

    I am running Knoppix 3.4 for the c't magazine. I installed it to the hard disk as debian. Now I will need to develop a little bit using this machine, so I am asking some kind souls where can I get some of the stuff that I need.

    For example, where can I apt-get the source and headers for the xfree86 4.3 installed by Knoppix ? Because on the standard debian packages I was only able to find the packages for xfree86 4.2.1.

    As you can guess I am totally new to debian, and I could learn everything the hard way but right now I am a little tired of reboots

    TIA

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: From Knoppix to a Debian developer's machine

    Quote Originally Posted by dewd
    Hi,

    I need some headers and source code but I don't want to mess with my system too much to render it unusable as I am really enjoying it.

    Yesterday I tried to compile the latest version of Wine and it asked for the xfree headers.
    I'll need gtk+ headers as well for the Ruby-Gnome2 bindings.

    I am running Knoppix 3.4 for the c't magazine. I installed it to the hard disk as debian. Now I will need to develop a little bit using this machine, so I am asking some kind souls where can I get some of the stuff that I need.

    For example, where can I apt-get the source and headers for the xfree86 4.3 installed by Knoppix ? Because on the standard debian packages I was only able to find the packages for xfree86 4.2.1.

    As you can guess I am totally new to debian, and I could learn everything the hard way but right now I am a little tired of reboots

    TIA
    Firstly apt-get install apt-file then apt-file update now it is ready to use there may be a few warnings of sites it cannot fetch from but that is not important you should be able to find everything you need. Then to get the X packages apt-get -s install -t experimental xlibs-dev should get you all of them you need not sure about the others but apt-file search file_not_found to find the package that contains it then you can install, repeat until you have everything you need.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    16
    Thank you

    But I need to reinstall everything again... My bad

    I will try your way soon.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    16
    Stephen, it worked great !

    I was able to compile and install the latest Wine and now I am playing Ultima Online on linux, which is one of the two games that I play most of the time. The other one is chess at yahoo

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    16
    Stephen, I just installed the gtk+2 dev libraries and compiled the Ruby-GTK+2 bindings just fine and with that I was able to run a little app of mine.

    Go Knoppix and Debian !

    Thanks Stephen. You help me a lot.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by dewd
    Stephen, I just installed the gtk+2 dev libraries and compiled the Ruby-GTK+2 bindings just fine and with that I was able to run a little app of mine.

    Go Knoppix and Debian !

    Thanks Stephen. You help me a lot.
    Your welcome and good to hear you got it going there are a couple of little apps like that make life easier. Have you heard of apt-listchanges and apt-listbugs? The apt-listbugs bugs can be a little unreliable though when you go and check the bug reports sometimes people have opened old bugs because they have configuration problems or some other foolishness but when there is a real bug it comes in damn handy, the listchanges gives you the change log for the packages and there is good information in there sometimes about config files moving, having a to change the format or new ways of doing it things like that.

    Edit: In future when you use apt-file you should update before the search or whichever option you are using so it will have a fresh packages list it is just like you would use apt-get.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix on my new dell machine
    By Ryan450 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-17-2005, 05:28 AM
  2. Developer's mailing list?
    By bjwatson in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-19-2005, 10:08 PM
  3. Knoppix Developer's Mailing List?
    By aay in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-08-2004, 09:20 AM
  4. Mozilla, Knoppix or My Machine
    By beforewisdom in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 12:43 AM
  5. HOWTO fix debian or knoppix/debian for Russian fonts
    By datakid in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2003, 07:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW picture

Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW

$225.00



HP ZBook Firefly 14 G8 FHD Touch, Core i7-1185G7, 16GB, 512GB NVMe | Grade B/C picture

HP ZBook Firefly 14 G8 FHD Touch, Core i7-1185G7, 16GB, 512GB NVMe | Grade B/C

$262.95



AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF

$435.99



Dell - XPS 13.4

Dell - XPS 13.4" 3K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 5 Series 3 320 2026 - 8GB...

$599.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW

$399.00



Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (LGA 1151) picture

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (LGA 1151)

$189.99



Intel Core i7 11700F 2.5GHz 8 Core CPU Processor LGA1200 16MB Cache picture

Intel Core i7 11700F 2.5GHz 8 Core CPU Processor LGA1200 16MB Cache

$139.99



Intel Core i9-9900 SRG18 3.10GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900 SRG18 3.10GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor

$177.21