-
Senior Member
registered user
updating apt-get list
I'm forever getting:
Can anyone post alternatives (new URLs) or is there some way apt-get can do this automatically?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Erm,
Here's mine http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.p...opic=11462&hl=
It seems to have worked !
You can also try apt-spy ....
this benchmarks the sources....
-
Senior Member
registered user
Can we get a STICKY on this one 
I have seen as many as four "threads/topics" on this issue, possibly one STICKY that can be updated to the "current" apt-get sources file. Someone can be updating it, as sites come and go, and "everyone" can get the "updated" list at a single topic.
I have followed these topics, each one, and have modified my sources list to reflect the changes I have read, but still have sites that either hit not found, or defunct, or timed out, etc... I'd hate to limit to places I can get packages, but, the messages tend to scroll off the important stuff, though I know to scroll back and read the pertanent info, I'd hate to waste the time "scanning" a site that is never going to be on-line again...
My current Sources file, contents:
Like I said, maybe a single topic, directed toward the "keeping your Sources.List current", or something...
Cuddles
BTW -=- GoWater, apt-spy ??? Is that part of the "apt-get" package already included, and using it, would you, or does it, keep the sources list current. If this apt-spy detects a issue with one of the site areas, should one validate its findings, or take it at "full value" ? Thanks
-
Senior Member
registered user
apt-spy
No its seperate
apt-get install apt-spy
It basically makes a new sources.list and tests the sources.... for availability and speed. You can limit it geographically etc.
Don't forget the apt-get update (afterwards)
BUT
My sources.list is handmade (cut and paste) from http://www.apt-get.org/
If it works for you good
There must be a beter way!!!!
-
Senior Member
registered user
Thanks all: will perm some sort of compromise between the apt-spy, my old sources.list and gowators!
-
Senior Member
registered user
sources
I can't help feeling ther is a best way were missing....
feel free to use mine, its stuff I wanted so you might wanna trawl the apt-get.org link above....
See if anything catches your eye!!!
-
Senior Member
registered user
OK, here's a new one on me. I just tried to apt-get update one of my PCs and get "must run dpkg --configure -a" and when I run that I keep getting install errors on the last apt-get install that was done where the url was bad. Its an infinite loop! I can't apt-get update or install or remove anything! What can be done about this??
TIA,
AJG
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Cuddles
the "current" apt-get sources file. Someone can be updating it, as sites come and go, and "everyone" can get the "updated" list at a single topic.
There is no such thinig as "the current" sources.list. There are Debian mirrors worldwide and perferrably you use mirrors that are close to you. Synaptic makes editing /etc/apt/aources.list easy. Check it out.
Mine for example:
apt-spy crash course:
sudo apt-spy -p proxy.yourproxy.com:8080 update
sudo apt-spy -d unstable -s US
-
Junior Member
registered user
I use netselect which sounds like apt-spy. Does anyone have comments on the relative merits of one over the other?
TO try it out, use:
$apt-get install netselect
$netselect
Similar Threads
-
By alphager in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-19-2005, 06:25 AM
-
By vdesibabu in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-05-2005, 05:47 PM
-
By dave52355 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-17-2003, 06:43 PM
-
By emanuelez in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-31-2003, 09:19 AM
-
By johncarlson21 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-27-2003, 01:52 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

Toshiba 1TB 2.5" SATA HDD MQ01ABD100V 5400RPM 9.5mm Laptop Internal Hard Drive
$53.99

HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy
$35.00

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)
$45.00

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health
$78.00

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$159.99

Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD
$29.99

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860
$129.99