Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Installing ANYTHING?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    3

    Installing ANYTHING?

    Alright i've tried and tried so many diff ways around it but cannot seem to get it to work for the life of me..

    Is there ANY WAY, ANYWAY at all, to install programs and such on Knoppix? WITHOUT installing Knoppix to the HD, I want to be able to install programs, etc. I was thinking of installing things to the Ram Drive, but couldnt get it to work. If someone can please FINALLY clear it up if there is a way or not (no matter how complicated) BESIDES installing knoppix to the HD, that'd be so awesome.
    Thanks again in advance!

    -Matt

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    The only way that I know of to do this is by remastering your own CD. You can check out the instructions in the FAQ if you want to try this option.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I posted the same question on linuxtag. It seems to me that the ramdisk acts like it has the standard hdd directory structure. Why can't we install say a small program on the fly to the ramdisk? You're only limitation would be how much ram you have vs how big the program is, right?

    I don't know why, but I can't get this to work either. Anyone out there get this to work? Please let us know.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    I do not know about running any programs from the ramdisk but I extracted the hard drive install script to the ramdrive and ran it from there for the install so it might work for programs.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Florida, US
    Posts
    41
    You can install and run any program as long as it can fit in you ram and live in your /home directory.

    The ramdisk does not store all the directories only links to the read only directories on the CD-ROM drive (in the /KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX cloop file).

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    3

    wrong it seems

    Well that's wrong it seems, b/c access is denied to the main /home directory, especially since it's all run off the CD I've tried everything, and (in this example) im install AIM onto knoppix, and it's set to install on the ./usr/lib and .usr/lib and so on, which is a directory stored on the knoppix CD. I've tried everything, I dont think it'll ever work.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Sorry, I didn't read your first post close enough. Yes as others have pointed out, you should be able to do this. Very cool idea. Wish I could be of more help but I will be bearing it in mind.

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Florida, US
    Posts
    41

    Re: wrong it seems

    Quote Originally Posted by Ridgeburner
    Well that's wrong it seems, b/c access is denied to the main /home directory, especially since it's all run off the CD I've tried everything, and (in this example) im install AIM onto knoppix, and it's set to install on the ./usr/lib and .usr/lib and so on, which is a directory stored on the knoppix CD. I've tried everything, I dont think it'll ever work.
    As I said /home or /ramdisk/home is on the ramdisk and it is writable. You would have to make the program use ~/usr/lib (~ is short for your current users home directory). If aim will install like that you should be able to run it.

    You should be able to copy the contents from a .deb file using mc (midnight commander) to your home directory and then add directories like ~/usr/lib ~/lib etc. to your path. The problem is most programs look for config files in /etc not ~/etc. (Please note I said most not all)

    There are many other ways that you could add any program but they get more and more complex.

Similar Threads

  1. installing knoppix vs installing Linux from scratch
    By jza in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-03-2003, 11:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



20TB 7200 RPM SATA III Internal 3.5

20TB 7200 RPM SATA III Internal 3.5" White Label Hard drive

$349.99



HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD picture

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$41.00



Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive picture

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s

$58.00



Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5

Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5" Hard Drive MB4000GCWDC /ST4000NM0033

$125.00



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95