The only way that I know of to do this is by remastering your own CD. You can check out the instructions in the FAQ if you want to try this option.
Alright i've tried and tried so many diff ways around it but cannot seem to get it to work for the life of me..
Is there ANY WAY, ANYWAY at all, to install programs and such on Knoppix? WITHOUT installing Knoppix to the HD, I want to be able to install programs, etc. I was thinking of installing things to the Ram Drive, but couldnt get it to work. If someone can please FINALLY clear it up if there is a way or not (no matter how complicated) BESIDES installing knoppix to the HD, that'd be so awesome.
Thanks again in advance!
-Matt
The only way that I know of to do this is by remastering your own CD. You can check out the instructions in the FAQ if you want to try this option.
I posted the same question on linuxtag. It seems to me that the ramdisk acts like it has the standard hdd directory structure. Why can't we install say a small program on the fly to the ramdisk? You're only limitation would be how much ram you have vs how big the program is, right?
I don't know why, but I can't get this to work either. Anyone out there get this to work? Please let us know.
I do not know about running any programs from the ramdisk but I extracted the hard drive install script to the ramdrive and ran it from there for the install so it might work for programs.
You can install and run any program as long as it can fit in you ram and live in your /home directory.
The ramdisk does not store all the directories only links to the read only directories on the CD-ROM drive (in the /KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX cloop file).
Well that's wrong it seems, b/c access is denied to the main /home directory, especially since it's all run off the CD I've tried everything, and (in this example) im install AIM onto knoppix, and it's set to install on the ./usr/lib and .usr/lib and so on, which is a directory stored on the knoppix CD.I've tried everything, I dont think it'll ever work.
Sorry, I didn't read your first post close enough. Yes as others have pointed out, you should be able to do this. Very cool idea. Wish I could be of more help but I will be bearing it in mind.
As I said /home or /ramdisk/home is on the ramdisk and it is writable. You would have to make the program use ~/usr/lib (~ is short for your current users home directory). If aim will install like that you should be able to run it.Originally Posted by Ridgeburner
You should be able to copy the contents from a .deb file using mc (midnight commander) to your home directory and then add directories like ~/usr/lib ~/lib etc. to your path. The problem is most programs look for config files in /etc not ~/etc. (Please note I said most not all)
There are many other ways that you could add any program but they get more and more complex.

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW
$13.89
LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...
$162.04
Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles
$53.99
2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM
$37.99
Desktop Vacuum Cleaner Mini Desk Portable Dust Crumb White
$21.35
WONHOX Vacuum Seal Backpack for Travel with Air Pump XX-Large, A68-beige
$93.82
MAYKU FormBox Desktop Vacuum Forming Machine W / Starter Kit
$399.00
US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits
$13.89
Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe
$53.99
Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery
$107.67