Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Problems after crash installation

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3

    Problems after crash installation

    Hi,
    I wanted to install Red hat on an old computer MMX (64MO RAM, 1G HD) and the installation failed so I had to reboot the computer (I wanted to use only Linux so I formatted the HD). After this operation it never get back to any boot. So I tried to install Knoppix. I made a floppy boot, put the CD in the drive and restart the somputer. averything went fine untill I got the following error :
    Can't find knoppix filesystem, sorry.
    dropping you to a very limited shell.
    Press reset button to quit.

    I tried to mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 and the result is as follow:
    and got no such file or directory
    I tried then the command mount alone and got
    FAT Bogus cluster size 0
    FAT Bogus cluster size 0
    Kernel panic: VFS: unabled to mount root fs on 01:01.
    I think my HD is not formatted or partitionned or that the previous install with the reboot blow it up.
    Can someone help me to reconfigure my HD ? I have still access to the bios setup og the computer.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Western MA.
    Posts
    111
    this is the wrong forum for discussing installing Red Hat. On such an old system try Damn Small Linux or Flonnix there are others. My favorite place to look for an appropiate distro for a job is
    www.distrowatch.com

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3
    Hi,

    I'm trying to install linux and I want it either Knoppix or Debian.
    My first problem is to have info on how to get my HD back ?
    Can you help me ?

    cheers
    MAPPO

    Quote Originally Posted by johnb
    this is the wrong forum for discussing installing Red Hat. On such an old system try Damn Small Linux or Flonnix there are others. My favorite place to look for an appropiate distro for a job is
    www.distrowatch.com

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Mappo,

    I am reading the "minimum" requirements for a Knoppix Hard Drive Installation:

    Pentium-class processor, preferably 300MHz+
    64MB RAM
    A spare partition on your disk, min 3GB
    (of course) a Knoppix CD
    Not sure on your processor, you didn't mention the "pentium" part, or the processor speed, and your memory is just right, but, I think the minimum HARD DRIVE space is slightly "lower" than the minimum requirements.

    As JohnB stated, you can (possibly) get a different "flavor" of Knoppix/Debian and maybe get it to fit on that size of drive. As I further read in the HARD DRIVE INSTALLATION I have, the 3GB partition is needed for: 2.5GB for the Linux/Knoppix Operating System, and a minimum of 256 MEG for the SWAP, considering you are coming in at "just" the right amount of RAM, a swap would probably be needed.

    I think the errors you got from installing were from "some" of the files on the installation not being able to fit on the hard drive.

    As for your theory on the hard drive getting "blown" - if you can boot your Knoppix CD, click on the icon allong the bottom of the screen, one that looks like a monitor with a shell in front of it, this is the Konsole (or a Linux Shell), and type cfdisk - and see if you can see your hard drive. If you are running Windows, or have a Windows Boot Disk, or for that matter, a Knoppix Boot Disk, (the floppy) - In DOS (Windows), try fdisk, and if in Knoppix, try cfdisk

    If you really want to run Knoppix, the one you have, I would suggest another hard drive, one that may meet the minimum requirements (still not sure about the MMX processor either), but the hard drive space is rather hard to get around.

    Hopefully this helps,
    Cuddles

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3
    Thank you.
    I did not get the message first.
    thanks for your information.

    Cheers
    MAP

Similar Threads

  1. Problems with the installation CD´s
    By altella2005 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-01-2005, 12:51 AM
  2. Probleme nach installation!! - Problems after installation!!
    By Mr.Redhat in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-11-2004, 02:46 PM
  3. Installation Problems
    By towaes in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-03-2003, 09:00 AM
  4. hdd installation problems
    By epsilonmirror in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-14-2003, 03:58 AM
  5. crash during installation
    By pirozzi in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-21-2003, 12:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$248.00



Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays

$599.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount

$489.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00