-
Junior Member
registered user
From Knoppix to a Debian developer's machine
Hi,
I need some headers and source code but I don't want to mess with my system too much to render it unusable as I am really enjoying it.
Yesterday I tried to compile the latest version of Wine and it asked for the xfree headers.
I'll need gtk+ headers as well for the Ruby-Gnome2 bindings.
I am running Knoppix 3.4 for the c't magazine. I installed it to the hard disk as debian. Now I will need to develop a little bit using this machine, so I am asking some kind souls where can I get some of the stuff that I need.
For example, where can I apt-get the source and headers for the xfree86 4.3 installed by Knoppix ? Because on the standard debian packages I was only able to find the packages for xfree86 4.2.1.
As you can guess I am totally new to debian, and I could learn everything the hard way but right now I am a little tired of reboots 
TIA
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: From Knoppix to a Debian developer's machine

Originally Posted by
dewd
Hi,
I need some headers and source code but I don't want to mess with my system too much to render it unusable as I am really enjoying it.
Yesterday I tried to compile the latest version of Wine and it asked for the xfree headers.
I'll need gtk+ headers as well for the Ruby-Gnome2 bindings.
I am running Knoppix 3.4 for the c't magazine. I installed it to the hard disk as debian. Now I will need to develop a little bit using this machine, so I am asking some kind souls where can I get some of the stuff that I need.
For example, where can I apt-get the source and headers for the xfree86 4.3 installed by Knoppix ? Because on the standard debian packages I was only able to find the packages for xfree86 4.2.1.
As you can guess I am totally new to debian, and I could learn everything the hard way but right now I am a little tired of reboots
TIA
Firstly apt-get install apt-file then apt-file update now it is ready to use there may be a few warnings of sites it cannot fetch from but that is not important you should be able to find everything you need. Then to get the X packages apt-get -s install -t experimental xlibs-dev should get you all of them you need not sure about the others but apt-file search file_not_found to find the package that contains it then you can install, repeat until you have everything you need.
-
Junior Member
registered user
-
Junior Member
registered user
Stephen, it worked great !
I was able to compile and install the latest Wine and now I am playing Ultima Online on linux, which is one of the two games that I play most of the time. The other one is chess at yahoo
-
Junior Member
registered user
Stephen, I just installed the gtk+2 dev libraries and compiled the Ruby-GTK+2 bindings just fine and with that I was able to run a little app of mine.
Go Knoppix and Debian ! 
Thanks Stephen. You help me a lot.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
dewd
Stephen, I just installed the gtk+2 dev libraries and compiled the Ruby-GTK+2 bindings just fine and with that I was able to run a little app of mine.
Go Knoppix and Debian !
Thanks Stephen. You help me a lot.
Your welcome and good to hear you got it going there are a couple of little apps like that make life easier. Have you heard of apt-listchanges and apt-listbugs? The apt-listbugs bugs can be a little unreliable though when you go and check the bug reports sometimes people have opened old bugs because they have configuration problems or some other foolishness but when there is a real bug it comes in damn handy, the listchanges gives you the change log for the packages and there is good information in there sometimes about config files moving, having a to change the format or new ways of doing it things like that.
Edit: In future when you use apt-file you should update before the search or whichever option you are using so it will have a fresh packages list it is just like you would use apt-get.
Similar Threads
-
By Ryan450 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-17-2005, 05:28 AM
-
By bjwatson in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-19-2005, 10:08 PM
-
By aay in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-08-2004, 09:20 AM
-
By beforewisdom in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 03-15-2004, 12:43 AM
-
By datakid in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-07-2003, 07:46 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HPE Synergy 480 Gen10 Blade Server BAREBONES NO CPU, RAM OR HDD 🚚
$140.00

NEW Cisco UCSB-5108-AC2 Blade Server Chassis 8 Slot 6RU Chassis 4 X PSU - DW
$599.40

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)
$1599.99

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$96.60

Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Enclosure Chassis
$274.99

HP P40893-B21 EDGELINE E920T CONFIGURE-TO-ORDER BLADE SERVER
$300.00

NEW DELL TRUSTED PLATFORM MODULE TPM 2.0 POWEREDGE T430 T630 G13 SERVERS K98XH
$225.00

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD
$349.99