-
Newbie troubles with DSL
Hello,
I've been struggling for about a week and a half now setting up Debian. Building the Knoppix Live CD has been a big help. I love the new OS. Connecting to the Internet is my last major hurdle. At least once that's taken care of I'll be able to do my research for any future problems from home.
I have a VIA Rhine ethernet card. When running Linux off of the CD I was unable to connect to my DSL (Time Warner - RoadRunner). When running PPPOE/ADSL, first it would acknowledge my ethernet card (eth0), and then it would time out waiting for the PADO packets and I would get a message saying there was no Access Concentrator response from my provider. No DSL, no internet access.
I searched the fprums and here are some of the fixes I found and tried. Booting from the CD using the cheatcode "Knoppix Noapic" had no effect. I read the messages concerning Microsoft Security Updates changing the eeprom in the hardware so it does not run Linux. The recommended fixes for this, running "sudo mii-tool -r" and ifconfig from a shell were also ineffective for my problem. Perhaps I should mentioin that running ifconfig did bring up the line "UP BROADCASET RUNNING-MULTICAST" in reference to eth0.
Finally, I saw some messages that echoed the advice of the FAQ for those who use DHCP to connect to the Internet. The FAQ states that the hard disk installed system is "normal" Debian and that for DHCP I need to add these lines to /etc/network/interfaces:
- auto eth0
- iface eth0 inet dhcp
Well, after spending a day or so trying to edit that file I figured out that I needed root privileges to do so, and acquiring that capability would require installing to my hard drive. So, I did. I inserted those two lines at the end. Saved the file and no results. Then I tried some other things, put the lines in various position, moved the word loopback around to the end, etc etc.
Well, I'm pretty stumped. Any help or insight would be very much appreciated. While I am certainly willing to do my own homework and I look for the opportunity to do so, please keep in mind that I am very new to Linux and babytalk is encouraged.
Thank you.
GreenShirt
Similar Threads
-
By DusteD in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 07-28-2004, 03:45 PM
-
By cameik in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 8
Last Post: 06-01-2004, 01:35 AM
-
By cold in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-03-2004, 08:51 PM
-
By PyroBoy101 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-06-2004, 11:13 PM
-
By Emanem in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-23-2003, 10:37 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB
$282.00

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80

Lenovo 2TB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Metal Pendrive High Speed Data Storage
$9.50

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive
$35.00

FLASHFORGE 3D Printer AD5X Multi-Color IFS Auto Refill High Speed Printing US
$349.00