Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: login with GUI/Command Line

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Iowa, USA
    Posts
    1

    login with GUI/Command Line

    Everything was working fine after installing Knoppix (debian now) onto a partition until I clicked one little selection. At the GUI login it asked me if I wanted the gui login or Command line and I thought the gui waste of resources could be saved with a prompt, but now I can't get back to the gui. I can't start up x windows debian anything. How do I get it back? I've been trying to sift through script after script thinking if I found the line that said GUI="no" or something I could change it back. Even if I knew the command to get the gui running from the prompt that would help. I'm not afraid of the propt, but I would like to not be limited to it.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361

    Re: login with GUI/Command Line

    Quote Originally Posted by wilsondk
    Even if I knew the command to get the gui running from the prompt that would help
    Code:
    startx

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: login with GUI/Command Line

    Quote Originally Posted by wilsondk
    Everything was working fine after installing Knoppix (debian now) onto a partition until I clicked one little selection. At the GUI login it asked me if I wanted the gui login or Command line and I thought the gui waste of resources could be saved with a prompt, but now I can't get back to the gui. I can't start up x windows debian anything. How do I get it back? I've been trying to sift through script after script thinking if I found the line that said GUI="no" or something I could change it back. Even if I knew the command to get the gui running from the prompt that would help. I'm not afraid of the propt, but I would like to not be limited to it.
    If you want a new login then as root at the console /etc/init.d/kdm restart will get you back to the display manager if it is not already running if not then loging out of the console and wait a few seconds and you should get the login. If you mean that when you installed that you said no to starting the kde display manager on boot then try dpkg-reconfigure kdm as root I believe there is an option in there to tell it to do so.

Similar Threads

  1. boot only in command line - help
    By teccim in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-14-2005, 04:09 PM
  2. booting into the command line
    By greygooseplz in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-25-2004, 05:58 AM
  3. Bring up KDE from command line
    By Jesse in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-30-2004, 05:57 PM
  4. command line WOES
    By bob58 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-27-2004, 11:10 PM
  5. Hostname on command line
    By Ambrose in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-08-2003, 02:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$464.99



Lenovo IdeaPad S340-15IWL Laptop 15.6

Lenovo IdeaPad S340-15IWL Laptop 15.6" Intel Core i3-8145U 8GB RAM 256GB SSD

$126.65



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY picture

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY

$39.99



AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4 picture

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4

$279.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



acer swift air 14 picture

acer swift air 14

$600.00



Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11

$250.00