Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: compilation problems

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3

    compilation problems

    I have been working with knoppix 11-19-03 (on hd) for a few months and I am very happy with it! I was able to compile kshowmail. However, when I try to compile an additional program I get the following message:

    grep: /usr/lib/libXft.la: No such file or directory
    /bin/sed: can't read /usr/lib/libXft.la: No such file or directory
    libtool: link: `/usr/lib/libXft.la' is not a valid libtool archive
    make[3]: *** [libk3bdevice.la] Fehler 1

    Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

    PS: I have installed the ATI-Radion driver. I originally thought that that was the problem, but I am no longer convinced, as this message comes up after a few compilation attempts anyway...

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: compilation problems

    Quote Originally Posted by knoppy
    I have been working with knoppix 11-19-03 (on hd) for a few months and I am very happy with it! I was able to compile kshowmail. However, when I try to compile an additional program I get the following message:

    grep: /usr/lib/libXft.la: No such file or directory
    /bin/sed: can't read /usr/lib/libXft.la: No such file or directory
    libtool: link: `/usr/lib/libXft.la' is not a valid libtool archive
    make[3]: *** [libk3bdevice.la] Fehler 1

    Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

    PS: I have installed the ATI-Radion driver. I originally thought that that was the problem, but I am no longer convinced, as this message comes up after a few compilation attempts anyway...
    Looks like you do not have the libxft-dev package installed you need to install it.
    Code:
    HappyTux:/home/stephen# dpkg -S libXft.la
    dpkg: *libXft.la* not found.
    HappyTux:/home/stephen# apt-file search libXft.la
    libxft-dev: usr/lib/libXft.la
    libxft-dev: usr/lib/libXft.la

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3
    Thanks, Stephen

    Did as you told me. However, I'm getting a new error message:

    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXinerama_pic
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[2]: *** [kshowmail] Fehler 1

    How do I go on from here...?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by knoppy
    Thanks, Stephen

    Did as you told me. However, I'm getting a new error message:

    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXinerama_pic
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[2]: *** [kshowmail] Fehler 1

    How do I go on from here...?
    You now need xlibs-pic and you really should install apt-file then you can get the answer you need in seconds on your system.
    Code:
    HappyTux:/home/stephen# apt-file search Xinerama_pic
    xlibs-pic: usr/X11R6/lib/libXinerama_pic.a
    xlibs-pic: usr/X11R6/lib/libXinerama_pic.a

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3
    Well, Stephen, thanks for the hint. I installed apt-file... a great tool (took me a right while to find out I needed to do an update first!)

    However, even aften an apt-get -t unstable install xlibs-pic my knoppix wouldn't compile.
    As a matter of fact, the whole affair is rather strange. Originally, I was able to compile kshowmail and kickPIM (and another few apps), but at one stage knoppix started to refuse compilation.
    When I restore an older image file, knoppix compiles again.

    Well, it is possible that knoppix has problems with an updated library (but I don't know exactly what I have updated...)

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by knoppy
    Well, Stephen, thanks for the hint. I installed apt-file... a great tool (took me a right while to find out I needed to do an update first!)

    However, even aften an apt-get -t unstable install xlibs-pic my knoppix wouldn't compile.
    As a matter of fact, the whole affair is rather strange. Originally, I was able to compile kshowmail and kickPIM (and another few apps), but at one stage knoppix started to refuse compilation.
    When I restore an older image file, knoppix compiles again.

    Well, it is possible that knoppix has problems with an updated library (but I don't know exactly what I have updated...)
    Sorry about that should have mentioned it, I would say your right it looks like there is some kind of bug getting in there try installing apt-listbugs and while your at it apt-listchanges then when you install the packages go and check the bug reports for each package installed and see if there is something in there that may help. BTW http://bugs.debian.org for the bug tracking system. The error(s) you are getting may be helpful to post as well.

Similar Threads

  1. packages - compilation for what processor
    By yshadow in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-08-2005, 05:14 AM
  2. compilation error
    By pc3 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 10:44 PM
  3. Compilation problems under HDD install of Knoppix
    By karl in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-14-2004, 11:25 AM
  4. Compilation failure.
    By Li0nheart in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-19-2003, 12:42 AM
  5. cloop 0.68 and Red Hat 7.3 problem compilation
    By lucky in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-19-2003, 11:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



LOT OF 3 Micron 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory picture

LOT OF 3 Micron 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory

$255.00



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.50



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



HMAA8GR7AJR4N-XN - SK Hynix 64GB PC4-25600 DDR4-3200MHz Registered ECC DIMM Dual picture

HMAA8GR7AJR4N-XN - SK Hynix 64GB PC4-25600 DDR4-3200MHz Registered ECC DIMM Dual

$493.31



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$378.00



Dell Precision 3541 Laptop i5-9300H 2.4GHz 256GB SSD 16GB RAM Win 11 Pro picture

Dell Precision 3541 Laptop i5-9300H 2.4GHz 256GB SSD 16GB RAM Win 11 Pro

$189.99