Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Major Problem - Changed my resolution to unsupported

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5

    Major Problem - Changed my resolution to unsupported

    I have been getting frustrated with the standard 640 *480 so I decided to change my resolution to 1024*768 because everytime i reboot after changing to 800*600 the settings to not change. Once I rebooted i see all the startup dialog but when it goes to load the GUI I get no signal to my monitor and it goes to power save. Please help!

    Im running Knoppix 3.3 on a hd install.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9

    Spooky!

    I've done EXACTLY the same thing, I'll wait and see if you get any helpful replies before I trash the whole install and start again.

    BTW. I discovered if I switch to another input screen (Ctrl + Alt + F1(F2...F6)) I can login as root and reboot, so I don't have to crash the system.

    "H"

    P.S. I've resolved the problem.
    There is a backup copy of the XF86Config-4 file made when you reconfigured, if you copy it back to it's original filename, you go back to where you were.

    cd /etc/X11
    ls XF86*

    the above shows you the relevant files

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5
    Finally I worked it out with your help !

    I've tried so many configs and changed settings, I didn't have a fresh goodcopy of XF86Config

    If you're in the same s... try :
    "X -configure" (beware X --configure does something else)
    it creates a xf86config.new in the root folder and tells you that you can test the server with :
    XFree86 -xconfig /root/XF86Config.new

    I tested and get a full screen X screen (just the gray matrix startup screen with the X mouse icon). I was surprised it was a full screen.

    Now, to finish :
    with "mc" (midnight commander : very very usefull) I deleted XF86Config-4, XF86Config-4.in, XF86Config, XF86Config-4.backup, XF86Config-4.new in /etc/X11 (I tried to keep some but it didn't worked), copied XF86Config.new from /root to /etc/X11 and renamed it to XF86Config-4 and launched "kdm"

    And it works !! Full screen !! 1024x768.
    But in 256 colors for the moment (but I don't care, I need space and speed not fancy colors)

    Yahoooooooo (2)

    Further tests appreciated from others now !!! (more colors ?)

Similar Threads

  1. Problem with resolution.
    By lsharrahs in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-25-2007, 01:41 AM
  2. Major Problem, Please Help
    By weters in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-05-2004, 09:37 AM
  3. Major problem in HD installation of knoppix !
    By gopikrish in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-21-2004, 04:44 PM
  4. 3.4ct , odd problem with resolution
    By Joe999 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-23-2004, 10:46 PM
  5. Problem with resolution
    By MasterN64 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-06-2003, 10:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Intel Xeon W-2255 SRGV8 3.7GHz 10-Core LGA2066 Server CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon W-2255 SRGV8 3.7GHz 10-Core LGA2066 Server CPU Processor

$249.99



Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz  8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER  picture

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER

$94.94



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600  Win 10 picture

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10

$109.99