Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: HD installed knop cannot be Ghosted?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    111

    HD installed knop cannot be Ghosted?

    I have a running knoppix on a hd where I got kylix3 to run. Now I want to
    clone it to avoid all that fiddling again.

    BUT using both Ghost 2002, and Ghost2003 the cloned harddisk will not
    boot.

    It simply writes 9 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 (tons) and nothing else happens.
    I tried to "reinstall" lilo, but to no avail.

    One time it did start to detect hardware etc, but then it reported BadCRC.
    I then ran e2fsck and it said it fixed it, but when I later booted on it,
    the same 9 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 happened.

    Now I going to try partimage, but sadly it appears only to clone partitions so not as easy a ghost would have been.

    My questions is: * It is possible to clone it ? *

    The hds are same brand, size etc so resizing is going on.

    I suspect that Ghost2003 doesnt handle ext3 correctly as all the
    journal nodes were damaged.

    Maybe If install knoppix to hd using ext2, it will clone correctly?

    The funny thing is that on Ghost site, it says it can clone ext3.

    Any of you tried to clone it from one hd to another?

    Thanks.

    ps. Knoppix really rocks. I came from a red hat 7.2 and knoppix made me understand why people love linux.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Western MA.
    Posts
    111
    Hi, if you do a search, there is an article where a guy tries to use norton ghost on linux. He goes thru the whole tech support thing and could not get it to work. There is an article also on the IBM website on Knoppix tips and tricks. I belive they used the command dd to clone hard drives. Sorry this is not more detailed just woke up and not firing on all cylinders yet.
    good luck
    johnb

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    111
    Thanks john. Ill try to find out more about the DD command.
    I did search, but I must have missed the Ghost posting you refer to.
    Well its nice to know that there are issues as I felt rather stupid.

    Good morning to you then

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    111
    Hmm. I searched for "ghost" here on knoppix.net but didn't find any post regarding failed attempt to clone using Norton Ghost?

    Did you mean search the big .net?

    I man'ed the dd command, but I would like to read how they did it because my first attemp was to simply copy all files from on disk to the other and run lilo.

    I called Tech support and they said it should not be a problem.
    That Ghost supports ext3 and linux and bla. bla.
    Not really helpful anyway.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Have you looked into partimage it is already included and there is mondo, kbackup and multicd that you can install as well.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    111
    Well, I spend some time searching for a quick fix for using Norton Ghost as I am so used to clone
    any windows installation using any numer of partiontions to any combination of hds so I think it was hard for me to accept that it simply sux for Linux.

    I tried partimage last night, but the clone would not boot.
    Maybe I didnt mark the partitiont as boot or something.

    I will try to download Mondo, as it might be able to just clone the hd so I can avoid
    fiddling around so much in a Shell.
    I just hope its easy to install as all the rpm to deb stuff is rather Ehh? when used to setup.exe and dobbeltclick

    Thanks for mentioning kbackup and multicd. I'll check them out too.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Western MA.
    Posts
    111

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    202

    Re: HD installed knop cannot be Ghosted?

    Quote Originally Posted by metavoid
    BUT using both Ghost 2002, and Ghost2003 the cloned harddisk will not
    boot.

    It simply writes 9 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 (tons) and nothing else happens.
    I tried to "reinstall" lilo, but to no avail.
    The solution is running lilo to record de MBR again. You need a working linux to run lilo including the not booting disk or partition.
    I have one disk with two linux partitons. When I restore a partition from a ghost image it will not boot.
    I boot the second linux partition or knoppix live-cd or minidistro floppy linux to be able run lilo. Then I can boot the new restored partition.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    111
    oscar: Ok so you have seen the same error and was able to fix it?
    I did boot on the knoppix cd and tried to recreate the mbr using lilo, but Im not that good yet with these tools so chances are that I didn't do it correctly. Thanks for your input:

    JohnB: Thanks for the link, Ill try that tonight. And post my
    success/failure here. Both the disk are the same. Excactly. So
    a bytetobyte copy should work.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    203

    Well

    I don't really understand why your trying to use ghost or even partimage etc. to do this.

    If I understand you want to clone a disk.
    partimage is very good for backing up a partition ,it compresses them but this is what dd is FOR. Forget the fact its Knoppix or even linux, dd is the basic raw tool that copies the image.

    The type of image is immaterial, it can be a tape, disk whatever.
    Using anything but dd is over complicated and .. well pointless.
    You can dig a hole with a shovel if you persist but a spade is much easier.


    Quote Originally Posted by johnb

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. how to boot knop. from usb-hd with unsupported bios-usb-boot
    By hollex in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-07-2005, 11:45 AM
  2. 3.6 installed - NOW what?
    By bcalder in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-06-2005, 03:57 PM
  3. "Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Mobile Connection" with Knop
    By jasperlevink in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-22-2003, 10:59 PM
  4. Remastering Knop-LITE help!
    By jledger in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-02-2003, 05:58 AM
  5. My screen display is ghosted !
    By Alex1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-22-2003, 10:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$155.00



OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$95.00



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99



OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI picture

OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI

$195.00



SonicWall NSa 2800 Network Security/Firewall Appliance w/ 1 Year IPS Bundle picture

SonicWall NSa 2800 Network Security/Firewall Appliance w/ 1 Year IPS Bundle

$2499.00



HP 2x 10GB OPNsense Quad Core i5-8500 8GB RAM 3Port Gigabit Firewall AES-NI SSD picture

HP 2x 10GB OPNsense Quad Core i5-8500 8GB RAM 3Port Gigabit Firewall AES-NI SSD

$199.95



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$229.99



Firewalla Gold Plus 2.5gb W/Rack Mount Kit W/Keystones and Original hardware. picture

Firewalla Gold Plus 2.5gb W/Rack Mount Kit W/Keystones and Original hardware.

$500.00



Barracuda NextGen CloudGen Cloud Based Firewall F280 BNGF280a w/ 8.3.1 Firmware picture

Barracuda NextGen CloudGen Cloud Based Firewall F280 BNGF280a w/ 8.3.1 Firmware

$89.99



Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot picture

Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot

$95.99