-
Another HD install problem
Ok heres the deal, I have a IBM Netfinity 3000, not the fastest little guy on the planet, but it a durable running little thing. The IBM has a ServeRaid II card in it with 4 x 9GB scsi drives, in a raid 5 configuration, Setup up three partitions with cfdisk, a 4GB for Root, 500MB Swap, Rest went to data storage for a sambe share on the network, and a small intranet webserver, and a mysql database, for our new inventory management program.
I have installed Knoppix V3.3 02-16-2004 to the HD, once the install is done and reboot, I get a kmod failure, will get to the exact error in a second.
Here is a copy of the install messages that you get from running the install from a shell, while booted to the live cd.
root@ttyp0[knoppix]# knx-hdinstall
Setting up /dev/sda3 as swap...
Setting up swapspace version 1, size = 589893 kB
Creating filesystem on /dev/sda1...
Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=4096 (log=2)
Fragment size=4096 (log=2)
488640 inodes, 976114 blocks
48805 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=0
30 block groups
32768 blocks per group, 32768 fragments per group
16288 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912, 819200, 884736
Writing inode tables: done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done
This filesystem will be automatically checked every 31 mounts or
180 days, whichever comes first. Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.
tune2fs 1.35-WIP (31-Jan-2004)
Copying files...ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255 up
route add default gw 192.168.0.254
Setting Nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf to 192.168.0.254
Done.
cp: cannot stat `/mnt/target/usr/share/gnome/apps/Knoppix/*': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `/etc/alternatives/soffice.*': No such file or directory
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
512 bytes transferred in 0.023634 seconds (21664 bytes/sec)
Setting up boot loader (LILO)...
shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories: No such file or directory
Added Linux *
Skipping /vmlinuz.old
root@ttyp0[knoppix]#
ok now once I reboot the error meesage that I get is
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-8, errno = 2
VFS: Cannot open root device "801" or 08:01
Please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:01
as far as what I can tell from the rest of the messages up above these errors I see no problems, but also I do not see anywhere that it is loading the megaraid.o file like it does when booting from the cd.
The quirky thing is that if you boot from cd, you can mount the drives and life is good, the cd sees everythign just perfectly, using the megaraid.o for the ServeRaid II card, but for some reason once installed to the HD, either lilo, or something else is not quite right.
Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks!
Linus is the greatest, Love the Knoppix distro!
-
Junior Member
registered user
same thing
I am getting the EXACT same kmod error message, but I am doing an install on my laptop from the gui (kde).
I even made a persistent directory, and downloaded and ran the latest version of the installer (0.3.7 i think). same problem.
the wierd thing is, I have NO SCSI devices on my laptop, as far as I know!!
so, what's going on here?
--sarge
Similar Threads
-
By Droid in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-08-2004, 08:09 AM
-
By gravity in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-22-2004, 04:32 PM
-
By NoviceW in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 03-23-2004, 07:17 PM
-
By dobell in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-24-2004, 10:25 PM
-
By jfitie in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-24-2003, 07:05 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW
$13.89

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...
$162.04

Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles
$53.99

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM
$37.99

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits
$13.89

MAYKU FormBox Desktop Vacuum Forming Machine W / Starter Kit
$399.00

2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower
$16.99

Car Vacuum Portable Cordless, 50000Pa High Power Brushless Motor, Rechargeable H
$104.98

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe
$53.99

Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery
$107.67