Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: GUI FTP client?

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Iowa U.S.A.
    Posts
    226
    Hi again,

    Here is another Konqueror FTP tip.

    Copy the following profile file named FTP into
    /home/knoppix/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/profiles/
    Then in Kommander select Settings--> Load View Profile
    --> FTP Note: the green light shows which panel is in
    the Location Bar. Of course you may make your own
    profiles and save them with Save View Profile.
    Best Wishes
    paradocs


    [Main Window Settings]
    MenuBar=Enabled

    [Main Window Settings Toolbar bookmarkToolBar]
    Hidden=true
    IconSize=16
    IconText=IconTextRight
    Index=3
    NewLine=true
    Offset=259
    Position=Top

    [Main Window Settings Toolbar extraToolBar]
    Hidden=true
    IconSize=22
    IconText=IconOnly
    Index=0
    NewLine=false
    Offset=-1
    Position=Top

    [Main Window Settings Toolbar locationToolBar]
    Hidden=false
    IconSize=22
    IconText=IconOnly
    Index=2
    NewLine=true
    Offset=184
    Position=Top

    [Main Window Settings Toolbar mainToolBar]
    Hidden=false
    IconSize=22
    IconText=IconOnly
    Index=1
    NewLine=true
    Offset=-1
    Position=Top

    [Profile]
    Container0_Children=View1,View2
    Container0_Orientation=Horizontal
    Container0_SplitterSizes=397,397
    Container0_activeChildIndex=0
    Container0_docContainer=true
    Name=FTP
    RootItem=Container0
    View1_LinkedView=false
    View1_LockedLocation=false
    View1_PassiveMode=false
    View1_ServiceName=konq_treeview
    View1_ServiceType=inode/directory
    View1_ToggleView=false
    View1_URL=ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/
    View2_LinkedView=false
    View2_LockedLocation=false
    View2_PassiveMode=false
    View2_ServiceName=konq_treeview
    View2_ServiceType=inode/directory
    View2_ToggleView=false
    View2_URL=file:/home/knoppix

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    Quote Originally Posted by falstaf
    arkain23, the new downloadlink gives me a 404-errror
    My host was blasted by 200GB downloads in the first 24 hours. I have changed the link and am now using Bittorrent.

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Other than sftp and fish, what else does ssh let me do?

    TIA,
    AJG

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    ssh, eeeh you can do anything that can be done in a console with ssh, it is basically a remote console.
    You can also configure it to forward X to your computer.
    That is, you can run a X program (just ype the program name in the ssh window) on the remote machine but see what you are doing on your end, somewhat slow but...

  5. #15
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    What I meant to ask is, once my server has sshd running, I can use scp, sftp, fish, etc. Are there other such commands? Am I missing out?

    TIA,
    AJG

  6. #16
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by paradocs
    Hi all,

    It would be nice if the KDE menu gave
    a little hint about this. Perhaps a link
    menu option Internet --> FTP Use Konqueror


    klik:/JAP

    Best Wishes
    paradocs
    man Konqueror

  7. #17
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    20

    Konqueror isn't lame, but still lack a bit of FTP features

    Quote Originally Posted by arkaine23
    Nice!

    And I thought konqueror was lame....
    I enjoyed the performance of Konqueror over cable modem, it gave me speed of 170kb/s which beats all my windows FTP clients on the same modem. :P


    However, didn't find any way to RESUME a broken download with Konqueror.

    I tried to install GFTP inside Knoppix, it compliled OK, but won't install using the regular ways, because the Knoppix's /usr/options/ is a read only location. I tried to install inside /home/knoppix, and still wouldn't run.

    Any one got clue how to do something around this?

  8. #18
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I resume ftp downloads using konqueror all the time. If your download stalls out or is otherwise interrupted, just start the download over and you will be prompted to overwrite or resume the download.

    I just did so today, in fact. I was downloading the 4 CD isos from MORPHIX, the 4 CD isos from Fedora Red Hat and the 4 CD isos from Slackware. Its just not my day! These downloads just kept on stalling, or my kids would boot-up the UnMentionable OS.

    I kept resuming all day. I now have the complete download and the md5sums all check out fine!

    HTH,
    AJG

  9. #19
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    I resume ftp downloads using konqueror all the time. If your download stalls out or is otherwise interrupted, just start the download over and you will be prompted to overwrite or resume the download.
    ......
    Hmmmm, that's nice I had not tried that yet.

    I had not seen that resume dialog of Konqueror before, may be I had not tried to save over the same file name.

    Had any body used Konqueror for huge download beyond 4GB?

    I have big broblems downloading FC2 from:
    http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...2-i386-DVD.iso

    The huge ISO is a DVDROM which consisted all of Fedora's 4 CDs + all source codes. There are several issues for download size over 4GB:

    Code:
    * Linux kernal 2.4x not supporting the 4GB limit, have to use 2.6x
    * gftp reports wrong file size clipping off at 2GB
    * mountSMB SAMBA old version seem not able to handle over 4GB
    * destination can not be any of FAT system e.g. FAT32 file size max is 2GB.
    I had been able to by pass some of these problems, but still when a huge download like this got stalled or broken, it seems never to RESUME properly.

    Any one knows if Konqueror can handle it?

    I used Konqueror once to download the above from one of FC2's ftp mirror, it stopped at 3.8GB, and I gave up.

  10. #20
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    20

    FTP download RESUME in Konqueror



    I am able to get Konqueror to do download RESUME now!

    The style of Konqueror is such that it creates a .part file, such as download.tar.gz.part and this file is left there in .part file name. When I restarted a download, I clicked Save As then clicked on this file, then Konqueror WON'T let me resume it.

    This was the reason why I couldn't resume download.

    To resume download, I had to enter/select the file file name WITHOUT the .part extension then the option of RESUME will be offered for selection.


    That made a world of difference!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. ftp client
    By jjbergdolt in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-29-2005, 09:34 PM
  2. NIS client - YP Client - SOLVED...
    By lor in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 05:24 PM
  3. IRC Client
    By hybridus in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 05:13 AM
  4. GUI FTP client
    By kayl in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 10:28 AM
  5. AOL client .deb available
    By probono in forum Ideas
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-06-2003, 02:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Commodore 64c Computer System picture

Commodore 64c Computer System

$550.00



 Pi1541 Zero with Epyx Fastload Hat, Case & 16gb SD for Commodore 64 and 128  picture

Pi1541 Zero with Epyx Fastload Hat, Case & 16gb SD for Commodore 64 and 128

$79.99



TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded picture

TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded

$89.50



Commodore OS USB | Bootable LIVE + Install | The Ultimate Gaming Linux OS | NEW picture

Commodore OS USB | Bootable LIVE + Install | The Ultimate Gaming Linux OS | NEW

$11.99



Commodore SX-64 Personal Computer picture

Commodore SX-64 Personal Computer

$600.00



Commodore 1541 Emulator PI1541 HAT with ROTARY, OLED screen, USA Seller picture

Commodore 1541 Emulator PI1541 HAT with ROTARY, OLED screen, USA Seller

$29.99



Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA picture

Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA

$10.49



Commodore 64/C64 23 Original Games (Untested /As Is ,no returns )Maniac Mansion  picture

Commodore 64/C64 23 Original Games (Untested /As Is ,no returns )Maniac Mansion

$115.00



Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99



RARE Commodore MPS801 Printer - 1st printer for the 64 - powers on picture

RARE Commodore MPS801 Printer - 1st printer for the 64 - powers on

$70.00