modules are REALLY FUSSY....

When you compile a kernel you leave hooks (symbols) for modules to attach to.

Exactly how you compile can influence this....

Now the modules are like the other half of velcro.... if they aren't from the same batch they can kinda work or seem to work for a while but then fail!!!

The knoppix kernel isn't a 'vanilla' kernel. Its has XFS ovbviously but probably some other modifications and my guess is that somehow one of these is interfering with the symbios module.

I have a lot of experience SUFFERING this... (Mandrake + 1GB RAM-> enterprise kernel which means the nvidia nforce chipset won't work, and even recmpiling for the kernel gives probs with symbols....) the only way is compiling my OWN kernel and paying about with the options....this led to instability and frequent lock-ups

Believe it or not this is how i ended up in knoppix....
I found (in 3.3) that I could compile the nvnet without errors and insmod it without errors. I orginally put the CD in to get the nvidia source and then thought, wait a minute, that compile worked without errors....

So I ended up with HD install and wrote over the Mandrake 9.2 install....

I don't know your situtation BUT if you have a different SCSI card perhaps try it, Adaptec are REALLy stable with all kernels since 2.0.

I can try it out for you on an adaptec tonight with SCSI disk and SCSI CDRom and see what happens .. othwerwise you might just hjave to use an older live CD OR wait for a newer or wait for someone who knows a shedload more than me.....