You find the settings in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, and Knoppix does a very good job on it!
Pewe
I hear great things about Knoppix and its ability to support hardware. I'm wondering if it writes the hardware settings (mainly interested in Vid card and monitor settings) to /etc/X11/XF86Config file?? Does it store the values somewhere else?
What I'd like to do is, if Knoppix detects my hardware and X looks good, save those settings to use with other Linux Distros.
Can someone please let me know.
Thanks!!!!
You find the settings in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, and Knoppix does a very good job on it!
Pewe
Oh...very cool!! I'm downloading and burning this puppy today!!!
Luckily we have a T1 here at work so it won't take all day to grab it!
Thanks again!
I found this file, but also the following:
XF86Config
XF86Config.in
XF86Config-4.in
Can someone fill me in on how to modify the X configuration in a fairly standard way? During a floppy config, that is.
What I want to do is add a font server to the list of fonts in the XF86Config file.
AFAIK, /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 is the file you will have to change. If you want to modify it when booting from cd-rom, you may do it like this:
Start knoppix
once in X, type ctrl/alt/F2 (gives you a text console), then type
init 2
This shuts down X.
cd /etc/X11
joe XF86Config-4
or vi or mc to edit the config file to your liking.
init 5
Starts X again, now using your modified XF86Config.
The file sits on a ram disk, so it will be lost next time you restart the system.
Pewe

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates
$36.00
Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503
$109.99
Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer
$2999.99
Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+
$209.99
Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01
$127.06
Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable
$75.00
Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare
$179.00
1950 High Speed Computers Analog ENIAC UNIVAC EDVAC IBM SSEC Relay Logic Tubes
$65.00
VINTAGE 1970s SKIT Scientific Kit for Computer & Electronics SEALED INSIDE Rare
$380.00
vintage internal ISA Dial-Up Modem from the Accura 28.8 series. 5617us
$13.99