Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: PCMCIA support?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    17

    PCMCIA support?

    Hi, I was wondering if Knoppix natively supports wireless PCMCIA cards. I was thinking of getting a low end used laptop and a 802.11a/b card to use as a remote terminal for my main machine.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    203

    Definitive????

    Well, Ill test tonight....
    I have a PCMCIA one and Ive theoretically tested it but without connecting when i was bored on a train!!!

    It seems like its working but Id hate for you to buy it and then it not work...

    From the HD install I can guarantee it works....with a Netgear WA311
    Im also using knoppix as a router on a HDinstall with a WG311 and abolute nightmare card under linux. Using linuxant driver installer it works great under knoppix HD install.....

    I didn't actually try MADwifi etc... but. its a bit more complex and IMHO not worth the hassle in your case when you can do a HD install.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    17

    Re: Definitive????

    Quote Originally Posted by gowator
    Well, Ill test tonight....
    I have a PCMCIA one and Ive theoretically tested it but without connecting when i was bored on a train!!!

    It seems like its working but Id hate for you to buy it and then it not work...

    From the HD install I can guarantee it works....with a Netgear WA311
    Im also using knoppix as a router on a HDinstall with a WG311 and abolute nightmare card under linux. Using linuxant driver installer it works great under knoppix HD install.....

    I didn't actually try MADwifi etc... but. its a bit more complex and IMHO not worth the hassle in your case when you can do a HD install.
    Thanks, the lastest disk I have is 3.2 and that did not work with my Nvidia chipset board's built in ethernet so it started me thinking that maybe some of the latest netowrk cards are not built into it. Then again maybe 3.3 cover's all this. I'll have to download it and see. Unfortunately I don't know anyone nearby with a laptop and PCMCIA wireless.

Similar Threads

  1. PCMCIA - Help
    By llwyd in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-26-2005, 03:05 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-17-2004, 09:50 PM
  3. No support for Conceptronic PCMCIA C54C?
    By miauman in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-15-2004, 02:48 PM
  4. WLAN PCMCIA - Orinoco chipset support
    By Arne Midtboe in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-09-2003, 03:28 AM
  5. Orinoco Wireless PCMCIA / Dell 1150 PCMCIA Support?
    By Guest in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-26-2002, 03:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage 90s PC Lot of 3.5 Floppy Disks Home Office Productivity CAD EXCEL WP AOL picture

Vintage 90s PC Lot of 3.5 Floppy Disks Home Office Productivity CAD EXCEL WP AOL

$60.00



Vintage Dell Latitude CPi A366XT Win 98SE w/USB Support 256MB 60GB HD FDD Serial picture

Vintage Dell Latitude CPi A366XT Win 98SE w/USB Support 256MB 60GB HD FDD Serial

$109.99



Vintage Digitizer Tablet Accessories Lot 16 Button Puck & Stylus P/N 01-0339  picture

Vintage Digitizer Tablet Accessories Lot 16 Button Puck & Stylus P/N 01-0339

$140.00



Vintage Data Technology DTC2280 16-Bit ISA I/O Card, Late '80s to Early '90s picture

Vintage Data Technology DTC2280 16-Bit ISA I/O Card, Late '80s to Early '90s

$89.00



Tektronix Vintage Full-Size QWERTY Keyboard with Numeric Keypad 119-1989-001 picture

Tektronix Vintage Full-Size QWERTY Keyboard with Numeric Keypad 119-1989-001

$79.99



Vintage Shuttle K48 Small Form Factor Pc FOR PARTS OR REPAIR picture

Vintage Shuttle K48 Small Form Factor Pc FOR PARTS OR REPAIR

$100.00



Vintage Microtech Europa 40 External SCSI Hard Drive (For Parts/Untested) picture

Vintage Microtech Europa 40 External SCSI Hard Drive (For Parts/Untested)

$59.95



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



5x Vintage SSS SCP1802D SCP1802LD Ceramic CPU 1802 COSMAC 1978 Gold IC picture

5x Vintage SSS SCP1802D SCP1802LD Ceramic CPU 1802 COSMAC 1978 Gold IC

$224.99



HP 360LX Palmtop PC Vintage Pocket Computer, working, Stylus included. picture

HP 360LX Palmtop PC Vintage Pocket Computer, working, Stylus included.

$69.00