Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: How do I get a 1024x768 resolution?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Odense, Denmark
    Posts
    1

    How do I get a 1024x768 resolution?

    Hi y'all...

    I'm a newbie with a newbie-question....

    With some help from a more experienced Linux user I got my Daewoo monitor to run smoothly... (the autodetect didn't get it right) however it is running in 800x600 resolution and my monitor is able to run in 1024x768 resolution...

    However, I ran the xf86config script yesterday (and set the monitor and gfx card) but I didn't get an option to choose a resolution...

    I'm running Knoppix 3.3...

    What do I do?

    Saeed

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Wilsonville, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    3
    During startup, type the following:

    Code:
    boot: knoppix screen=1024x768
    This will tell it to boot at that resolution.

    Hope this helps!

    --Chris ^_^

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: How do I get a 1024x768 resolution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Saeed.Bak.dk
    Hi y'all...

    I'm a newbie with a newbie-question....

    With some help from a more experienced Linux user I got my Daewoo monitor to run smoothly... (the autodetect didn't get it right) however it is running in 800x600 resolution and my monitor is able to run in 1024x768 resolution...

    However, I ran the xf86config script yesterday (and set the monitor and gfx card) but I didn't get an option to choose a resolution...

    I'm running Knoppix 3.3...

    What do I do?

    Saeed
    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 gives you the opportunity but you may as well edit the file /etc/X11XF86Config-4 and put in your resolution there in the Depth subsection an example of the section in the file.
    Code:
    Section "Screen"
            Identifier "Screen0"
            Device     "Card0"
            Monitor    "Monitor0"
            DefaultDepth  24
    #        SubSection "Display"
    #               Depth     1
    #       EndSubSection
    #       SubSection "Display"
    #               Depth     4
    #       EndSubSection
    #       SubSection "Display"
    #               Depth     8
    #       EndSubSection
    #       SubSection "Display"
    #               Depth     15
    #       EndSubSection
    #       SubSection "Display"
    #               Depth     16
    #       EndSubSection
            SubSection "Display"
                    Depth     24
                    Modes     "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
            EndSubSection
    EndSection
    You need similar in your file in the subsection for the DefaultDepth you are using. Then you need to restart the X server and see if it likes the new resolution with as root from the command line /etc/init.d/kdm restart or choose restart X server from the menu option at the KDE login screen. You should also have the proper refresh rates set for your monitor in the monitor section similar to this.
    Code:
    # Acer AcerView 54e
    Section "Monitor"
            #DisplaySize      270   200     # mm
            Identifier   "Monitor0"
            VendorName   "API"
            ModelName    "4536"
            HorizSync       30-54
            VertRefresh     50-110
            Option      "DPMS"
    A bit of searching should find the correct values HorizSync and VertRefresh if you do not have the manual that came with the monitor.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-22-2004, 05:52 PM
  2. Resolution higher than 1024x768 after hdd install
    By gitarzysta in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-31-2004, 10:18 AM
  3. Still can't do 1024x768 screen resolution?
    By KeithBlake in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 03:28 PM
  4. Screen Resolution 1024x768 does not work
    By veuf in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-13-2003, 10:57 AM
  5. I can't get my 1024x768 on 60 hz
    By Obsessed in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-03-2003, 12:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km picture

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km

$15.99



HP Z420 Tower Workstation Xeon E5-1620 3.60GHz, 4GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

HP Z420 Tower Workstation Xeon E5-1620 3.60GHz, 4GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$140.00



DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11 picture

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11

$149.00