-
Junior Member
registered user
Solution: Sony Vaio PII Laptops that hang on boot.
I aquired a Sony Vaio F350 (PII 366 Mhz 128 Megs) and it worked great for about a month. Then it would randomly shutdown. Eventually it would not even boot. I got frusterated and threw in in a box with other junk.
Last week while trolling around the internet I came across a site after I googled for "sony vaio" "random shutdown" (I don't have the link handy right now), I found the fix. Basically the problem is with almost all vaio's with the PII mobile chips. Intel had a bug report on their site about it and sony had a thing about it too. I found a site that said they could fix the problem for 150$, to me that was steep being the value of the laptop isn't much more than that.
The site I found said the problem was a thermal problem or a capacitor problem. Several people had removed some bad capacitors and replaced them. I'm good with a solder iron but not good enough I wanted to waste several hours and possibly cook the cpu. The other solution was to get windows 98 installed and follow some steps to disable some apm management. As the harddrive was dead and I used knoppix only on this laptop that was out of the options.
Then I found a tiny little link called fix for linux.
All this link had was a boot option listed.
amp=off no-hlt
to adapt for knoppix my boot string was
knoppix dma apm=off no-hlt
and badabing badaboom it worked. It will even work without the apm=off string.
so to boot all sony vaio's with the random shutdown problem under linux (also works for ILUG, LinuxCare, RedHat, Mandrake, & Slackware) type no-hlt along with any other boot parameters.
Now I'll be getting a harddrive, for this one and a second battery and bump it up to 192 megs of ram and it'll be good as new
. Any suggestions on a wireless 802.11g card for it as well?
Other things with this laptop is I have used the linuxant driver for the winmodem (hcf/hsf), very easy & straight forward to install.
DVD's also play very well now, Some time during Dec. I posted a question about choppy DVD's. The solution was to use "hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc" to enable DMA for the DVD drive. This also worked on my FX300 (PIII 1Ghz 512mb Ram.
~ryan
Similar Threads
-
By bengaskell in forum Laptops
Replies: 10
Last Post: 10-18-2010, 12:58 AM
-
By Stllgrowin in forum Laptops
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-05-2004, 06:20 AM
-
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-04-2004, 06:20 AM
-
By leodr99 in forum Laptops
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-23-2004, 02:19 AM
-
By knytphal in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-21-2004, 08:04 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM Power S822 POWER8 1x CPU 32GB DDR4 RAM 2U Rack Server No HDD.
$629.99

Ibm Computer Tower
$400.00

Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852
$559.00

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$200.00

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS
$80.00

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$108.92

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$135.00

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$149.99

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99