Check out the knoppix-autoconfigure set of scripts.
I think they're on sourceforge?
- Ambrose
I am trying to create a bootable linux distro and I have basically everything I need, except for one little thing thats been buging me.
in order to use a loopback device on a CDrom, one must first figure out the drive designation of the CDrom. (hda,hdb etc...) then the easiest thing to do would be to make a symlinked /dev/cdrom to it.
my question is; how does knoppix figure out the designation of the users CDrom drive during boot?
Check out the knoppix-autoconfigure set of scripts.
I think they're on sourceforge?
- Ambrose
I cant seem to find them at sourceforge or in google. does anyone else have any ideas? on how knoppix does this (or how to find out)
if someone could find the initrd and unzip it then mount it "mount -o loop /file /mountpoint" then post the /linuxrc file on the internet. Ii would be eternally gratefull, I use lnx-bbc which although being knoppix its differet and i cant seem to figure out how its startup scripts do the job.
and at the current time i cant seem to find my copy of knoppix, and with 56k a download is out of the question.

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00
DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95
Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99
Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4
$39.00
Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99
Seagate 3.5" Desktop HDD 3TB SATA III 6Gbps HDD 1ER166-510
$39.99
Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99
Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99
SEAGATE EXOS 4TB 7.2K 12Gb/s 3.5" 128MB Cach SAS ST4000NM0125 HDD hard drive
$59.99