-
Should I upgrade to Testing?
Right now, I have a working Knoppix system, with no major upgrades from 3.3.
My problem is that installing new software is a pain. I believe this is related to the mix-n-match attitude of Knoppix towards Debian stable/testing/unstable. For example, to install kmidi, I need to install timidity, which depends on libvorbis0. Synaptic says installing libvorbis0 would uninstall half the software on this computer. This is a common problem, and in most cases, I either give up, or spend a few hours unravelling the web of programs.
So, would upgrading to Debian testing elliminate these problems? Would there be any potential problems making the upgrade?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Should I upgrade to Testing?

Originally Posted by
evilmrhenry
Right now, I have a working Knoppix system, with no major upgrades from 3.3.
My problem is that installing new software is a pain. I believe this is related to the mix-n-match attitude of Knoppix towards Debian stable/testing/unstable. For example, to install kmidi, I need to install timidity, which depends on libvorbis0. Synaptic says installing libvorbis0 would uninstall half the software on this computer. This is a common problem, and in most cases, I either give up, or spend a few hours unravelling the web of programs.
So, would upgrading to Debian testing elliminate these problems? Would there be any potential problems making the upgrade?
Even easier solution put a # character in front of the stable lines in the /etc/apt/sources.list or since you are using synaptic just edit the sources with the option there, then (apt-get) update and you will only get packages from the testing/unstable branches so this will eliminate those conflicts with packages from stable getting pulled in and trying to uninstall half the system.
Code:
HappyTux:/home/stephen# apt-cache policy libvorbis0
libvorbis0:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 1.0rc3-1
Version Table:
1.0rc3-1 0
500 http://ftp2.de.debian.org stable/main Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
Similar Threads
-
By nosknoppix in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-06-2005, 01:07 PM
-
By maxIT in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-16-2005, 08:13 PM
-
By foamrotreturns in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-01-2005, 11:44 PM
-
By gopikrish in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-18-2004, 02:40 PM
-
By hyao in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-01-2003, 03:40 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP
$400.00

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply
$25.00

Yealink SIP-T44W VoIP Phone 12-Line Gigabit Speakerphone RJ-45 Gray/Black
$44.00

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H
$19.99

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB
$27.07

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included
$27.99

YEALINK W60B DECT VoIP BASE STATION VOIP SIP FOR UP TO 8 HANDSETS + OEM ADPTR
$50.00