Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: The story so far.........

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    2

    The story so far.........

    I downloaded the latest KnoppixKDE today, burnt it out and after creating a LinuxSwap and LinuxExt2 paritions I booted from the CD.
    At boot prompt I typed in "knoppix lang=en mount /floppy". Looking good so far. I made a new Directory/folder on the desktop called "new". I then inserted my floppy with the latest knx-hdinstall on it "knx-hdinstall-0.38". I then unpacked into "new." I opened a LinuxConsole, logged in as sudo su and navigated to "new" where I exe "./knx-hdinstall". Got a few boxes popping up asking about partitions and pointed it to the ones I had already formatted.For some reason I didn't get any option to open cfisk but things proceeded correctly. During this part there were some error comments in the console stating that certain paths couldn't be found or they didn't exist but things seemd OK. One odd comment was "./knx-hdinstall: line 364term command not found" line364 is "xterm -fn 10x20 -e cfdisk /dev/$HDCHOICE" not that means anything to me as I am quite new to Linux. The remaining hdinstall seedmed to go ok but when I finally booted again the process stalled at "Can't" find ...etc.

    OK I had read here somewhere that copying the Knoppix Cd to the HDD and making a Boot Diskette made things run smoother, so I did all this and when I booted from the Diskette Knoppix loaded from HHD copy (very quickly this time) found the Knoppix file and I proceeded as usual. I still got the line364 error and now the whole process stalls with the "copying files box open", the first time I tried it stalled at 1% and the last time at 6%.

    Well I think that I am learning a lot each time I try but I would like to be able to actually install Knoppix on my HDD because it is a fantastic OS.

    Any help would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    9
    I just installed it to my hd about an hour ago. Don't bother with creating a directory, putting knx-hdinstall on a floppy, or even making your partitions with fdisk (if you want to use cfdisk instead).

    Just open the console, sudo su, run fdisk if you want to use that to make your partitions, and then run knx-hdinstall right from the cd.

    Edit: for the total newbies who don't know this, you'll also have to make the filesystem on each partition. Here's a good howto on patitioning and file system creation: http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplan...orials/3174/1/

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    2

    Reply

    Lando, I have done that with pretty much the same result. Maybe the final KDE 3.1 version from this website will be easier.

Similar Threads

  1. Success Story
    By jimbo62 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-16-2005, 02:29 AM
  2. A Story of A Sad newbie
    By mimes in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-19-2004, 01:11 AM
  3. A Long Story...
    By linuX-gamEr in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-18-2004, 01:37 PM
  4. A success (sort of) Story -- My Modem
    By Dr Snark in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-06-2004, 02:46 AM
  5. Knoppix success story...
    By dvessey in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-03-2003, 08:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day picture

RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day

$188.24



Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set picture

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set

$58.00



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00