Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: The story so far.........

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    2

    The story so far.........

    I downloaded the latest KnoppixKDE today, burnt it out and after creating a LinuxSwap and LinuxExt2 paritions I booted from the CD.
    At boot prompt I typed in "knoppix lang=en mount /floppy". Looking good so far. I made a new Directory/folder on the desktop called "new". I then inserted my floppy with the latest knx-hdinstall on it "knx-hdinstall-0.38". I then unpacked into "new." I opened a LinuxConsole, logged in as sudo su and navigated to "new" where I exe "./knx-hdinstall". Got a few boxes popping up asking about partitions and pointed it to the ones I had already formatted.For some reason I didn't get any option to open cfisk but things proceeded correctly. During this part there were some error comments in the console stating that certain paths couldn't be found or they didn't exist but things seemd OK. One odd comment was "./knx-hdinstall: line 364term command not found" line364 is "xterm -fn 10x20 -e cfdisk /dev/$HDCHOICE" not that means anything to me as I am quite new to Linux. The remaining hdinstall seedmed to go ok but when I finally booted again the process stalled at "Can't" find ...etc.

    OK I had read here somewhere that copying the Knoppix Cd to the HDD and making a Boot Diskette made things run smoother, so I did all this and when I booted from the Diskette Knoppix loaded from HHD copy (very quickly this time) found the Knoppix file and I proceeded as usual. I still got the line364 error and now the whole process stalls with the "copying files box open", the first time I tried it stalled at 1% and the last time at 6%.

    Well I think that I am learning a lot each time I try but I would like to be able to actually install Knoppix on my HDD because it is a fantastic OS.

    Any help would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    9
    I just installed it to my hd about an hour ago. Don't bother with creating a directory, putting knx-hdinstall on a floppy, or even making your partitions with fdisk (if you want to use cfdisk instead).

    Just open the console, sudo su, run fdisk if you want to use that to make your partitions, and then run knx-hdinstall right from the cd.

    Edit: for the total newbies who don't know this, you'll also have to make the filesystem on each partition. Here's a good howto on patitioning and file system creation: http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplan...orials/3174/1/

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    2

    Reply

    Lando, I have done that with pretty much the same result. Maybe the final KDE 3.1 version from this website will be easier.

Similar Threads

  1. Success Story
    By jimbo62 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-16-2005, 02:29 AM
  2. A Story of A Sad newbie
    By mimes in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-19-2004, 01:11 AM
  3. A Long Story...
    By linuX-gamEr in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-18-2004, 01:37 PM
  4. A success (sort of) Story -- My Modem
    By Dr Snark in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-06-2004, 02:46 AM
  5. Knoppix success story...
    By dvessey in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-03-2003, 08:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Tested WD Ultrastar DC HC520 12TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

Tested WD Ultrastar DC HC520 12TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HDD HUH721212ALN600

$239.99



HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD picture

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$41.00



Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive picture

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99



Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5

Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5" 512 b/s

$59.00



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99