Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Video trouble (ati)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4

    Video trouble (ati)

    I'm using ATI 3d rage pro. I can't get Knoppix to use the 'ati' driver without crashing. It uses 'vesa' but with that I can't get a useable display because it always uses interlacing. I tried to discourage it from using interlacing by setting the vertical sync to a low value, but that seems to have no effect. When I set the driver to 'ati' in the XF86config file, I get a black screen and the machine hangs. The only escape is a hardware reset. When I borrow the whole video section from the XF86Config that I use in other distros, I still get the black screen and hang. I installed to hard disk to make it easier to manage, and the 'ati' driver still doesn't work. Has anyone encountered & fixed this problem?
    TIA,
    Neil

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Video trouble (ati)

    Quote Originally Posted by nkoozer
    I'm using ATI 3d rage pro. I can't get Knoppix to use the 'ati' driver without crashing. It uses 'vesa' but with that I can't get a useable display because it always uses interlacing. I tried to discourage it from using interlacing by setting the vertical sync to a low value, but that seems to have no effect. When I set the driver to 'ati' in the XF86config file, I get a black screen and the machine hangs. The only escape is a hardware reset. When I borrow the whole video section from the XF86Config that I use in other distros, I still get the black screen and hang. I installed to hard disk to make it easier to manage, and the 'ati' driver still doesn't work. Has anyone encountered & fixed this problem?
    TIA,
    Neil
    I have one of them cards that I have used for many years in an older machine here one thing that I needed was knoppix xvrefresh=60 xmodule=ati to get it to boot. For the HD install you can go to here and get the Gatos driver for the card you are looking for the ATI-4.3.0-14.i386.tar.gz file. Once downloaded extract the file in some convenient location and copy the ati_drv.o and atimisc_drv.o that are in the resulting directory tree into the directory /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ and try them, you may want to backup the originals before overwriting.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1
    I am using ATI 3d Rage II PC2TV and had similar problems.
    When trying to load Knoppix the screen went black. I noticed later it did the same thing when I tried Easy Linux and also failed on Win XP.
    For some odd reason my problem was my monitor, even though it could go 1024 by 768 (to play Civ III).
    I bought a refurbished Dell monitor and they all load fine now.

    note: The old monitor still works with Mandrake,Win98,2000.....

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4

    Re: Video trouble (ati)

    I have one of them cards that I have used for many years in an older machine here one thing that I needed was knoppix xvrefresh=60 xmodule=ati to get it to boot. For the HD install you can go to here and get the Gatos driver for the card you are looking for the ATI-4.3.0-14.i386.tar.gz file. Once downloaded extract the file in some convenient location and copy the ati_drv.o and atimisc_drv.o that are in the resulting directory tree into the directory /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ and try them, you may want to backup the originals before overwriting.[/quote]

    Thanks. I tried that driver and I get the same result (black screen & hang). On the black screen there is a X-windows-style "X" on the screen also. I had to reset, and then I had to do a lot of manual fsck to get running again. I have around 10 of these cards because they work so well that I've replaced all my S3's and others with these. They work with all machines & with Slackware, Mandrake, Fedora, SUSE, and Pink Tie. Anybody have any ideas (especially a cure)?
    Neil

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Video trouble (ati)

    Quote Originally Posted by nkoozer
    Thanks. I tried that driver and I get the same result (black screen & hang). On the black screen there is a X-windows-style "X" on the screen also. I had to reset, and then I had to do a lot of manual fsck to get running again. I have around 10 of these cards because they work so well that I've replaced all my S3's and others with these. They work with all machines & with Slackware, Mandrake, Fedora, SUSE, and Pink Tie. Anybody have any ideas (especially a cure)?
    Neil
    That is the X server running you just have no screens defined can you post the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 that you are using. You may also want to try (before you do this but save a copy of the original XF86Config-4 file first) at a console login without the X server running use CTRL and ATL and BKSP keys all at the same time to kill it off once booted to the black screen then login as normal user and type su then enter and the root password to become root and dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 to reconfigure the X server or cd /root to change to the root directory and then X -configure and use the command it tells you to to test the new screen you will see the same greyish black plus X cursor if it works properly use the command mentioned above to kill off the X server and copy the file to the XF86Config-4 and then use /etc/init.d/kdm restart to test and hopefully to get a new KDE login screen from either of these methods. BTW you do not have to reset your computer you should be able to use the CTRL and ALT and F[1-6] keys to get to a console login and login as normal user and su to root and use either shutdown -r now to reboot or substitute -h in the command to shutdown the system immediately.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by w84me
    I am using ATI 3d Rage II PC2TV and had similar problems.
    When trying to load Knoppix the screen went black. I noticed later it did the same thing when I tried Easy Linux and also failed on Win XP.
    For some odd reason my problem was my monitor, even though it could go 1024 by 768 (to play Civ III).
    I bought a refurbished Dell monitor and they all load fine now.

    note: The old monitor still works with Mandrake,Win98,2000.....
    I have a monitor that does that, too, but I'm using a good one for this. My Hitachi CM715 crashes hard if it receives negative sync pulses. Then I can't even turn it off with the on-off switch; I have to unplug it.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4

    Re: Video trouble (ati)

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    [...]
    That is the X server running you just have no screens defined can you post the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 that you are using. You may also want to try (before you do this but save a copy of the original XF86Config-4 file first) at a console login without the X server running use CTRL and ATL and BKSP keys all at the same time to kill it off once booted to the black screen then login as normal user and type su then enter and the root password to become root and dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 to reconfigure the X server or cd /root to change to the root directory and then X -configure and use the command it tells you to to test the new screen you will see the same greyish black plus X cursor if it works properly use the command mentioned above to kill off the X server and copy the file to the XF86Config-4 and then use /etc/init.d/kdm restart to test and hopefully to get a new KDE login screen from either of these methods. BTW you do not have to reset your computer you should be able to use the CTRL and ALT and F[1-6] keys to get to a console login and login as normal user and su to root and use either shutdown -r now to reboot or substitute -h in the command to shutdown the system immediately.
    I'll try the reconfigure, but in the mean time here's the bottom of my version of the XF86Config-4 file. The layout section at the top refers to screen 0. This was extracted from my Slackware system which runs from another partion on this same mahine.

    # ************************************************** ********************
    # Monitor section
    # ************************************************** ********************

    Section "Monitor"

    Identifier "Micron"
    HorizSync 30-95
    VertRefresh 50-120

    Modeline "1280x1024" 135.00 1280 1296 1440 1688 1024 1025 1028 1066 +hsync +vsync
    Modeline "1024x768" 94.50 1024 1072 1168 1376 768 769 772 808 +hsync +vsync
    Modeline "800x600" 56.30 800 832 896 1048 600 601 604 631 +hsync +vsync

    EndSection


    # ************************************************** ********************
    # Graphics device section
    # ************************************************** ********************

    Section "Device"
    Identifier "Video Card"
    Driver "ati"
    EndSection

    # ************************************************** ********************
    # Screen sections
    # ************************************************** ********************

    Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen 0"
    Device "Video Card"
    Monitor "Micron"
    DefaultDepth 16

    Subsection "Display"
    Depth 8
    Modes "1280x1024" "800x600" "1024x768"
    ViewPort 0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
    ViewPort 0 0
    Virtual 1664 1260
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Modes "1280x1024" "800x600" "1024x768"
    ViewPort 0 0
    EndSubsection
    EndSection

    Section "DRI"
    Mode 0666
    EndSection
    -------------------------------------------------------

    The black screen & hang also occurs if I do nothing but replace the "vesa" with "ati" in the driver line in the original file. When I'm in the black screen, ctrl-alt-bksp has no effect. Niether does ctrl-alt-del or anything else, and the mouse doesn't move the "X". When I reboot after the hang, the X log file is very short (about one screen or less), but I don't have an example right now.

    When there are no screens defined, the sever complains & returns without hanging.

    Back before programmable monitors were invented, I used to create my own modelines in order to center the display, so I'm familiar with things like keystrokes and the normal way things work, although I don't know debian-specific things.

    This particular machine runs Slackware and WinXP in other partions, and both work fine.

    I think the next thing I'll try first is to put this hard drive in another machine to see if it's just some obscure hardware thing that somehow excapes when other systems are running. I'm leaving on a trip, so I'll be out of touch till the end of the week.

Similar Threads

  1. Trouble with Video Integrate Intel Desktop Board D865GLC
    By gonzalezmfrank in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-22-2005, 01:51 AM
  2. Trouble with video card when using kernel 2.6
    By jtsai256 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-13-2004, 01:59 AM
  3. Having trouble....
    By Enigma13 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-02-2003, 11:14 AM
  4. k3b trouble
    By Seeker in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-26-2003, 09:53 AM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-05-2003, 06:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$102.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



WD Blue 500GB 3D NAND 2.5” SATA III SSD picture

WD Blue 500GB 3D NAND 2.5” SATA III SSD

$40.00



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00