-
Yet Another USB Memory Card Reader Thread
<Obligatory>I Love Knoppix!
</Obligatory>
It appears that my Shuttle 6-in-1 memory card reader is being recognized and mounted properly, but I still can't get read it. I was hoping somebody could give me a clue.
Here's what I've done (most of this was culled from other threads here)...
(As root)
In the 'append' statement in /etc/lilo.conf I added "max_scsi_luns=6" and then executed /sbin/lilo
When I rebooted the following messages appeared in /var/log/dmesg
Code:
usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0xe0c82000, IRQ 5
usb-ohci.c: usb-00:02.0, nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0xe0c84000, IRQ 11
usb-ohci.c: usb-00:02.1, nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller (#2)
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 2
usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
...also
Code:
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=Linux ro root=303 hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi max_scsi_luns=6 apm=power-off nomce
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Attached scsi removable disk sdb at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 1
Attached scsi removable disk sdc at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 2
Attached scsi removable disk sdd at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 3
cat /proc/scsi/usb-storage-0/1 shows the following...
Code:
Host scsi1: usb-storage
Vendor: Ltd
Product: Winter Ver1.3
Serial Number: 104029804230
Protocol: Transparent SCSI
Transport: Bulk
GUID: 07cc03200000104029804230
Attached: Yes
I then made mount points underneath /mnt, called sda1-sda4
mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 returns a "mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device" error. the same error is returned for sda1-sda4.
mount -t usbfs /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 works!
However, here are the contents of /mnt/sda1...
Code:
dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Feb 21 14:13 .
drwxr-xr-x 14 root root 368 Feb 21 14:51 ..
dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Feb 21 14:13 001
dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 0 Feb 21 14:13 002
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Feb 21 14:13 devices
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Feb 21 14:13 drivers
devices and drivers are both text files. devices contains...
Code:
T: Bus=02 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#= 1 Spd=12 MxCh= 3
B: Alloc= 0/900 us ( 0%), #Int= 0, #Iso= 0
D: Ver= 1.10 Cls=09(hub ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=0000 ProdID=0000 Rev= 0.00
S: Product=USB OHCI Root Hub
S: SerialNumber=e0c84000
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=40 MxPwr= 0mA
I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 2 Ivl=255ms
T: Bus=01 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#= 1 Spd=12 MxCh= 3
B: Alloc= 0/900 us ( 0%), #Int= 0, #Iso= 0
D: Ver= 1.10 Cls=09(hub ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=0000 ProdID=0000 Rev= 0.00
S: Product=USB OHCI Root Hub
S: SerialNumber=e0c82000
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=40 MxPwr= 0mA
I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 2 Ivl=255ms
T: Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=02 Cnt=01 Dev#= 2 Spd=12 MxCh= 0
D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=07cc ProdID=0320 Rev= 0.05
S: Manufacturer= Ltd
S: Product=Winter Ver1.3
S: SerialNumber=104029804230
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=500mA
I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=08(stor.) Sub=06 Prot=50 Driver=usb-storage
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
drivers contains...
Code:
usbdevfs
hub
usb-storage
001 and 002 are directories. 001 contains two binary files 001 and 002, while 002 contains binary file 001.
I've basically tried everything I know and am sort of at a brick wall in terms of my knowledge and understanding of linux devices. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-
Junior Member
registered user
It seems that your card reader doesn't use the vfat filesystem. What is the specific model of your Shuttle 6-in-1 reader? You might also want to google the model name along with the keyword "filesystem".
Try mounting with msdos rather than vfat; ie. mount -t msdos /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
Unfortunately, I don't have your brand of card reader, so I am limited in my ability to help. It's entirely possible that your card reader may use a non-standard USB CompactFlash chip. See this project for an attempt to reverse engineer a linux driver for an non-standard USB chip: http://sourceforge.net/projects/usbat2
You might also want to check the search results for "Shuttle" on the Linux-USB Device Overview
-
Shuttle PC-12 6-in-1 card reader under Knoppix
Thanks for replying.

Originally Posted by
spurious
It seems that your card reader doesn't use the vfat filesystem. What is the specific model of your Shuttle 6-in-1 reader? You might also want to google the model name along with the keyword "filesystem".
Actually, from the documentation it apparently supports both vfat and msdos. I did try mounting it as msdos as well and got the "not a block device" error as I did with vfat.
It's a Shuttle PC-12 6-in-1 card reader. See here.
From the Linux How-To that comes with it, it appears to be fairly standard. These are the kernel options it recommends:
Code:
The USB reader need following items:
SCSI emulation support = y
SCSI support = y
SCSI disk support = y
SCSI generic support = y
Support for USB = m
UHCI Alternate Drive(JE) or OHCI (Compaq,iMacs,OPTi,SiS,ALi,...) support = m
USB Mass storage support = m
Preliminary USB device filesystem = y
Dos FAT fs support = y
MSDOS fs support = y
UMSDOS: Unix-like file system on top of standard MSDOS fs
VFAT (Windows-95) fs support
The option items:
USB verbose debug message = y
USB Mass storage verbose debug =y
In terms of mounting it, their Linux How-To says that "mount /dev/sd? /mnt/sd?" should work (where ? is the device name/number). I tried that as well, of course, and still got the "not a block device" error.
Do you see anything non-standard about the kernel options it requires?
Similar Threads
-
By lotech in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-23-2005, 03:27 AM
-
By richb in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-18-2004, 11:44 PM
-
By furryfren in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-01-2004, 12:24 PM
-
By DukeLeto in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-02-2003, 07:00 PM
-
By anushatech in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 03-20-2003, 02:10 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1599.99

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$225.00

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00

1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM
$344.97

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012
$109.99