Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: How do u call up the Bourne shell($)

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9

    How do u call up the Bourne shell($)

    I've been trying to install filmgimp for the past few weeks. I wanna make the root installation but the firsts 4 lines start with a $, does it mean I have to call the Bourne shell?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    I'm not sure why you're doing it from source. Anyway, filmgimp is now CinePaint. There are debs available:

    http://packages.debian.org/unstable/...cinepaint.html

    If you're in the command line, you're already in bash (the Bourne Again SHell) . There's no way you want to use the old Bourne Shell.

    The root prompt looks different to the user prompt (usually). I have (as myself): john@niglo:~$

    as root

    root@niglo:/home/john#

    But it looks to me as though you're reading part of an installation script.

    Exactly what are you reading and what are you seeing?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9
    It's from the install text wich tells me how to install cinepaint, but anyways it's not what I need, I need a program that will allow me convert avi to kvcd.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    I think kvcd is just a sort of template for cramming as much mpeg as possible onto a vcd.

    What you need -- what I need, too -- is a method of converting .avi to .mpeg. I'm happy enough being able to stuff 45 minutes of Buffy on a vcd.

    I think the answer is transcode, but the manpage is truly frightening.

    Any takers?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    11
    Noticed this in mplayer docs (never tried)

    mencoder -of mpeg -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video \
    -oac copy [other options] media.avi -o output.mpg

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    That does look interesting. I'd completely forgotten about memcoder!

    [edit] I just tried it on an .avi ripped from a dvd and it works just fine: file length is reduced, too! Now all I need is someone to lend me all their Buffy DVDs and ........ Many thanks![/edit]

    In the meantime, the aswer to the previous question:

    I think you're seeing "something" like

    $ ./configure
    $ make
    $ make install

    and here the "$" just indicates that you're in the shell. You can literally copy and paste the rest.

Similar Threads

  1. Can get a very limited shell when booting from USB CD
    By TecHunter in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-16-2005, 05:04 AM
  2. running shell script
    By splittik in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-22-2005, 07:38 AM
  3. lock root shell
    By Mikkey in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-11-2004, 09:57 PM
  4. pppd call isp nodetach (or) Lord help me... i'm such a NOOB.
    By spamhippy in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-30-2004, 08:27 PM
  5. Call me Crazy- my user and root and admin password dont work
    By dennison_b in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-07-2003, 05:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$13.99



BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD picture

BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD

$169.99



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



VA Linux 1120 1U Rackmount Server picture

VA Linux 1120 1U Rackmount Server

$100.00



NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch picture

NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch

$499.99



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00