Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Share internet connection-Win98 Host, Knoppix Client

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    31

    Share internet connection-Win98 Host, Knoppix Client

    I have a wireless card that is not supported by Knoppix, so I am trying to use an older Win98 machine as host and run Internet Connection Sharing. The Win98 machine can connect to the net with the wireless card and it's NIC works fine. The Knoppix machine (installed to the HD,not running from CD) has a NIC (also working). Both of the NICs are 100mbs. I have tried to setup Windows Internet Connection Sharing, but it doesn't work, I set the NIC host/client correctly but the Knoppix machine does not seem to see the Windows machine.

    Note: Windows 2000 uses a completely different way of sharing connections, but my system is too slow to run it (the Win98 machine).

    I ran netcardconfig on the Knoppix machine, but it says "Operation Failed". This is my last chance at being able to run Knoppix (I need internet) SOMEONE PLEASE HELP.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Since win98 ics is just a dhcp server your NIC should get an i.p. address automatically. If your NIC is in fact working you'll get an i.p.

    Use ifconfig:

    Code:
    ifconfig
    eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0C:6E:C3:BD:85
              inet addr:192.168.0.100  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              inet6 addr: fe80::20c:6eff:fec3:bd85/64 Scope:Link
              UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:4562 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:2821 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
              RX bytes:1061184 (1.0 MiB)  TX bytes:399868 (390.4 KiB)
              Interrupt:10 Base address:0x7000
    
    lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
              RX packets:2 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:2 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
              RX bytes:100 (100.0 b)  TX bytes:100 (100.0 b)

    If you don't have an i.p. you could try pump

    or

    Code:
    ifconfig eth0 up
    What model/brand/chipset is this NIC?

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    31

    I'll try

    NIC on both machines is Realtek 8139,I tried connecting the Knoppix machine directly to the router, and it got internet access. I'll try pump and the other suggestions. I can't have the system connected to the router for long. I think the problem is with Windows 98, I booted my Knoppix system into Windows and it can't get a connection either.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    31

    HELP HELP HELP

    nothing is working

    HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEELP

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: I'll try

    Quote Originally Posted by andymadigan
    NIC on both machines is Realtek 8139,I tried connecting the Knoppix machine directly to the router, and it got internet access. I'll try pump and the other suggestions. I can't have the system connected to the router for long. I think the problem is with Windows 98, I booted my Knoppix system into Windows and it can't get a connection either.
    I agree- it sounds like the win98 box. The command pump is only to bring the NIC up on the Knoppix box. I doubt that it will help in this situation. The rtl8139 is well supported under Linux.

    Go here: http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/ics/ics.htm

    Get ICS working and the Knoppix box will work.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix Internet Connection
    By Siege in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-14-2005, 06:02 AM
  2. Help. Knoppix Internet connection via Wingate
    By gimhan in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-14-2004, 08:54 AM
  3. dial-up ics with knoppix as host/winxp as client
    By cyKeMatica in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-20-2004, 04:08 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-15-2004, 01:14 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-11-2004, 02:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations  Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981 picture

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981

$295.00



Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic picture

Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic

$100.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A

$150.00



LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED picture

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED

$80.00



Vintage Apple Rainbow Metal Case Emblem Logo rectangle picture

Vintage Apple Rainbow Metal Case Emblem Logo rectangle

$49.99



Lot of 3 VIntage  Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS picture

Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS

$7.00



Vintage Apple II Arcade Game Galactic Wars Apple Computer NOS Sealed picture

Vintage Apple II Arcade Game Galactic Wars Apple Computer NOS Sealed

$125.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh LC M0350 Desktop No Harddrive No Power Supply - Parts picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh LC M0350 Desktop No Harddrive No Power Supply - Parts

$71.95



Vintage Apple III Motherboard Logic Board 820-0043-00 E Fully Populated Tested picture

Vintage Apple III Motherboard Logic Board 820-0043-00 E Fully Populated Tested

$210.00



Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9

Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand

$275.00