-
Login Problems (GUI)?
Hey, I installed KNOPPIX to the hd, but now I can't login to the gui. I reboot, get a GUI with a dabien background asking me for a username and password, and give it, but when I hit go my monitor just flickers a few times and sends me back to the login screen. I tried rebooting under a command line, and logged in as root and then typed in startX, and it just flickered a few times and went back to the command line. Do you know how I can get into the account's GUI?
btw, when I try to start it by typing startkde in the command line it just says X server error indefinately
-
Junior Member
registered user
I am not an expert, but two things come to my mind:
1) choose the desktop environment no the combobox. the first time that I logged into debian I had to do that.
2) if (1) doesn't work, I fear it could be a videocard problem. the best way to avoid it is to configure everthing as right as possible on de LiveCD before you attempt the HD install.
-
Junior Member
registered user
The xserver is broken with the 2004-02-09 hard-drive install. There is a new version out: 2004-02-16 that fixes the bug; see the News section.
Actually, you would probably be better off installing an older version. Some posts are appearing that suggest the 2004-02-16 knoppix-installer script is broken.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I'm already using the 2/9/2004 version installed on my hd. I had the same problem as well, and somehow remembered to switch to the kde3 login and it let me through. Upon subsequent reboots, i noted in dmesg that the xdm wouldn't load because it wasn't the default. Fixed that by editing the xdm script file in /etc/init.d. Look for a line that says "HEED_DEFAULT_DISPLAY_MANAGER=true" and change it to false. Reboot and it should work ok.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I had a similar problem it turned out to be a wrong choice on video display cheat codes. At login the Debian screen would vanish then come back like I had not tried to login. If you can get a gui using something other than the default kdm I would say its graphics/cheat code related. Try one of the other lite gui's out there. The login screen has a drop down box of gui choices.
johnb
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Login Problems (GUI)?

Originally Posted by
bendman
Hey, I installed KNOPPIX to the hd, but now I can't login to the gui. I reboot, get a GUI with a dabien background asking me for a username and password, and give it, but when I hit go my monitor just flickers a few times and sends me back to the login screen. I tried rebooting under a command line, and logged in as root and then typed in startX, and it just flickered a few times and went back to the command line. Do you know how I can get into the account's GUI?
btw, when I try to start it by typing startkde in the command line it just says X server error indefinately
Try editing the file /home/your_user_name/.wmrc and adding kde3 then save and exit and try to login now.
-
Cannot Logon After HDD Install Debian Knoppix 3.3
I recently saw your message and it is exactly what happened to me too.
Installed to HD correctly, and when the KDE login screen comes up, I login, but it makes a loop and comes right back to the logon.
Then I tried changing the logon type from DEFAULT to KDE3 I believe... and believe it or not... it worked perfectly!
Now if I could just get the RealTek 8100B onboard eth0 to load, I would be in business. It seems to choke on loading full duplex mode, and cannot then receive a DHCP signal from the router.
Similar Threads
-
By Jameson in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-19-2005, 05:27 AM
-
By draggin in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 11-08-2004, 03:37 PM
-
By knoppix-noob in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-21-2004, 03:45 AM
-
By Dieter Springer in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-19-2003, 10:07 PM
-
By brewer13210 in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-10-2003, 05:35 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW
$13.89

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...
$162.04

Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles
$53.99

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM
$37.99

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits
$13.89

MAYKU FormBox Desktop Vacuum Forming Machine W / Starter Kit
$399.00

2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower
$16.99

Car Vacuum Portable Cordless, 50000Pa High Power Brushless Motor, Rechargeable H
$104.98

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe
$53.99

Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery
$107.67