Quote Originally Posted by fourtrackmind
Thanks, Stephen!

That's what I thought about the 'getting used to it' thing, but I needed someone who knew better to confirm....... I just wondered if Debian might be a better place to start from, rather than Knoppix.

Thanks again
Well that depends on what you want and how much effort you are willing to put in I only had to install Debian a couple of times to get it right but if I had more experience with the installer I would have got it right the first time, this was after using Knoppix for a couple of weeks and having used Redhat/Mandrake since 98 but those are so easy to install it is not funny click a few buttons and you are done basically it is the package management that kills you there although Redhat/Fedora at least has apt-rpm now so things could be better with it now. So if you want to give it a shot with the Debian installer you should go for it the worst that can happen is you try and fail but if you want some experience on a system that runs Debian first and you can essentially make any mistake you want, destroy the system and be back up running in 20 minutes then Knoppix is it.