-
Junior Member
registered user
Thanks for the reply, times
You could always tackle Gentoo, Slackware, or FreeBSD, which, as far as I can figure, require you to be intimately aware of the architecture of your hardware down to the quantum level.
Slackware was my first attempt 3 years ago, on the above mentioned 486 and I had to know every aspect of every piece of hardware, as well as heads and cylinders on my HD.......awful stuff. That also doesn't include the formatting, which assumes you have a firm knowledge of Linux, and what it needs. I must give them credit, they tried to make it easy on the newbies, but they themselves said it was NOT a newbie distro.
I can't tell you why, but no other distro has EVER corrected guessed the make model and v&h sync of my cheapo off-brand 21" crt monitor.
Yeah, the Live CD even saw my Aureal Vortex......a soundcard almost EVERY distro does not support.
(although I have seen 'hacked drivers' for Linux........) Even though it's not supported, it still knew what it was! 
I suggest that you give these post install clean-up scripts a look.
There's that word again. Scripts seem to be a big part of Linux, that and compiling. It seems a very command-line affair to do anything to a Linux system. Is this a correct view? It seems that you don't install anything without the command-line. Perhaps I am overlooking something.
All in all, I am very tempted to just back up my personal stuff from windows, and wipe it clean......then do an install. I just hope I don't run into the partitioning headaches and the "it won't boot by itself' thing that also seems so common.
Similar Threads
-
By realpc in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-15-2005, 04:55 PM
-
By istoleapig in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-19-2005, 09:28 AM
-
By ziggyrafiq in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-12-2004, 10:40 PM
-
By Lame_Duck in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-08-2004, 05:19 PM
-
By bongski55 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 5
Last Post: 12-08-2003, 04:14 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU
$74.99

Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6
$14.99

PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU
$15.99

GAMING COMBO: ASUS Prime H470M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-10600KF CPU + 16GB DDR4
$229.95

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151
$79.99

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Desktop Processor (3.7GHz, 6 Cores, AM4 CPU) 100-100000065
$125.00

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor
$69.99

HP ProDesk 405 G8 Desktop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 5650GE 16GB RAM 512GB SSD W11P
$319.99

Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY
$94.99