Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: preferences on floppy?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    WNY, USA
    Posts
    19

    preferences on floppy?

    Hi, all

    I have been playing with KNOPPIX since 9AM this morning (it's 6PM now....LOL). I love this CD, moreso than even the morphix KDE offering (although I wish the adorable AMOR was included in KNOPPIX!). Thank you to the developers of KNOPPIX.

    My question is this for the live CD:

    I have my mouse speed and sensitivity set up, and a lot of other things in KDE all set up (like a different background for each desktop, size of the taskbar, clock, etc...). Can I save these preferences to a floppy? I noticed the mouse-over tool tip said that the KDE preferences were like 644 bytes, or something.

    Can I reboot the cd, and start a floppy to get all these preferences back? It will take awhile to do so each time I boot. I hate how slow the mouse is by default (I use a trackball.....)

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    yes you can. You use the computer hardrive a usb keychain or just about anything else.

    go to the knoppix menu. (second form the left with the knoppix icon) and mouse over configure then click save knoppix configuration and then selct what ever your saving it as. To start up a floppy config, when you come to the bott screen type in knoppix floppyconfig or knoppix config=scan. You could also put in what knoppix suggests but I find these two the easiest. However if you have a computer that has multiple configs saves ( like on the hardrive and another on a usb keychain) your going to want to type in where it is. for my usb keychain I use ether knoppix config=scan or knoppix config=/dev/sda1

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    WNY, USA
    Posts
    19
    firebyrd10,

    Thank you LOADS!!

    Your instructions, and the command at boot 'knoppix floppyconfig' worked perfectly. It remembered everything, right down to my clock settings and history in Konqueror. This really makes using Knoppix the best live distro I've seen yet. I'm not sure if morphix and the rest do this too, and quite frankly, I don't care. I really like Knoppix better than all the other live CD's I've downloaded and tried these last few weeks.

    I'm glad somebody gave a d@mn enough to make something like this distro.

    Thanks again

Similar Threads

  1. Saving Konqueror Preferences
    By ix86i in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-03-2004, 04:17 AM
  2. Edit linuxrc and change the user preferences....knoppix 3.4
    By Sago7 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-23-2004, 11:20 PM
  3. Missing Files Floppy and CDrom Can't Mount Floppy or CD
    By SkyHawk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-14-2004, 04:40 AM
  4. Xterm : getting preferences to stick
    By beforewisdom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-22-2003, 01:49 PM
  5. saving preferences
    By boehmb in forum General Support
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-03-2003, 08:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW picture

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW

$49.99



Apple Macintosh 512K 1MB MacSnap SCSI 128K ROM 800K + 400K Drive Keyboard Mouse picture

Apple Macintosh 512K 1MB MacSnap SCSI 128K ROM 800K + 400K Drive Keyboard Mouse

$995.00



1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare picture

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare

$1800.00



1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE picture

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE

$6299.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond

$140.00



Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW picture

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW

$59.99



Apple Macintosh M0110 Keyboard, TESTED, WORKING; for Mac 128K, 512K, Plus - DW picture

Apple Macintosh M0110 Keyboard, TESTED, WORKING; for Mac 128K, 512K, Plus - DW

$79.99



Keyboard Cable Cord - Apple Macintosh Mac 128K 512K 512Ke Plus picture

Keyboard Cable Cord - Apple Macintosh Mac 128K 512K 512Ke Plus

$12.99



Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs picture

Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs

$14.99



Apple Macintosh 128k Desktop computer. Upgraded to 512k picture

Apple Macintosh 128k Desktop computer. Upgraded to 512k

$300.00