Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: I need help closing ports

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26

    I need help closing ports

    I was wondering how to close some ports on my box! I dont have a firewall so I figured it would be a good idea. also I am directly connected to the net, no server or anything. Is there a simple command like close port 21, or is it more difficult than that? I ran nmap and it says port 80 is closed how can this be when I am writing this online now? any advise would be appreciated. thanks

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    16
    I am not an expert, but I will give you a couple of informations

    Basically you have the traffic from the Internet to your machine and from your machine to the Internet. You want to block the traffic from the Internet to your machine, because the hackers and virus are on the Internet and hopefully not on your machine

    Even if you are not blocking the traffic from the Internet to your machine, you should be safe if you aren't running any servers (daemons) on your machine. That seems to be the case. Knoppix is meant to be a desktop Linux and thus it does not install lots of servers (daemons). That's why you probably don't have the 80 port open, because you haven't installed or loaded any http server like apache. Once a server is loaded it will listen to one or more ports, thus openning those ports.

    To setup a firewall can be a bit complicated, so you are recommended to follow the instructions carefully. Some people around here like shorewall and I recommend it too. But first take a look at their site: www.shorewall.net especifically at this quick tutorial: http://www.shorewall.net/standalone.htm

    To install it use apt-get install shorewall .

    Consider if you really need a firewall

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: I need help closing ports

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo
    I was wondering how to close some ports on my box! I dont have a firewall so I figured it would be a good idea. also I am directly connected to the net, no server or anything. Is there a simple command like close port 21, or is it more difficult than that? I ran nmap and it says port 80 is closed how can this be when I am writing this online now? any advise would be appreciated. thanks
    The easiest method apt-get remove --purge name_of_whatever_ftp_server_is_running no server no open port. You can get online because you are being served the pages not serving them up therefore no web server running on port 80. If you want to scan your computer from the internet to see what is open the Sheild's up tools can do the job. Some other firewalls you may want to consider they are all available with apt-get.


    http://www.simonzone.com/software/guarddog/
    http://firestarter.sourceforge.net/
    http://www.bastille-linux.org/

    Or if you want to roll your own.

    http://morizot.net/firewall/gen/
    http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.n...-tutorial.html

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26
    thanks stephen and dewd, you helped alot my system is almost secure I just have one more issue, when I run nmap it still says alot of ports are open but when I use the shields up that you suggested it says that they are all stealthed except port 67 which is open and port 68 wich is closed. 67 is bootstrap protocol server, 68 is bootstrap protocol client. I can't find any info on how to stealth them so if you could point me in the rite direction I would be greatful. thanks

Similar Threads

  1. Rear USB ports do not work?
    By Maverik in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-02-2005, 07:31 AM
  2. Problems with NVIDIA and boot (closing x-server) Knoppix 3.7
    By Coffee-OD in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-31-2005, 10:43 PM
  3. Closing all apps.
    By Benox in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-21-2004, 06:40 PM
  4. firewall yes or no can ports be opened
    By firebyrd10 in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-02-2004, 10:58 PM
  5. How to open ports for eetee P2P :(
    By cortechs in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-04-2004, 09:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY picture

Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY

$94.99



Corsair RM750e 750W Fully Modular 80 Plus Gold ATX 3.1 PSU Certified Refurbished picture

Corsair RM750e 750W Fully Modular 80 Plus Gold ATX 3.1 PSU Certified Refurbished

$44.99



GAMING COMBO: ASUS Prime H470M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-10600KF CPU + 16GB DDR4 picture

GAMING COMBO: ASUS Prime H470M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-10600KF CPU + 16GB DDR4

$229.95



Intel Core i7-7700 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.6 GHz Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-7700 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.6 GHz Processor LGA 1151

$39.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$69.99



Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339 picture

Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339

$39.99



Intel 4th Gen Core i7-4790 SR1QF 3.60GHz (Turbo 4.00GHz) 8M 4-Core LGA-1150 CPU picture

Intel 4th Gen Core i7-4790 SR1QF 3.60GHz (Turbo 4.00GHz) 8M 4-Core LGA-1150 CPU

$39.99



COMBO: ASUS Prime H370M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-9400F CPU /w Heatsink + 16GB DDR4 picture

COMBO: ASUS Prime H370M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-9400F CPU /w Heatsink + 16GB DDR4

$169.95



Core i3-10105F 4-Core Comet Lake Processor 3.70GHz 8GT/s 6MB LGA 1200 CPU Tray picture

Core i3-10105F 4-Core Comet Lake Processor 3.70GHz 8GT/s 6MB LGA 1200 CPU Tray

$79.00