Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: I need help closing ports

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26

    I need help closing ports

    I was wondering how to close some ports on my box! I dont have a firewall so I figured it would be a good idea. also I am directly connected to the net, no server or anything. Is there a simple command like close port 21, or is it more difficult than that? I ran nmap and it says port 80 is closed how can this be when I am writing this online now? any advise would be appreciated. thanks

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    16
    I am not an expert, but I will give you a couple of informations

    Basically you have the traffic from the Internet to your machine and from your machine to the Internet. You want to block the traffic from the Internet to your machine, because the hackers and virus are on the Internet and hopefully not on your machine

    Even if you are not blocking the traffic from the Internet to your machine, you should be safe if you aren't running any servers (daemons) on your machine. That seems to be the case. Knoppix is meant to be a desktop Linux and thus it does not install lots of servers (daemons). That's why you probably don't have the 80 port open, because you haven't installed or loaded any http server like apache. Once a server is loaded it will listen to one or more ports, thus openning those ports.

    To setup a firewall can be a bit complicated, so you are recommended to follow the instructions carefully. Some people around here like shorewall and I recommend it too. But first take a look at their site: www.shorewall.net especifically at this quick tutorial: http://www.shorewall.net/standalone.htm

    To install it use apt-get install shorewall .

    Consider if you really need a firewall

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: I need help closing ports

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo
    I was wondering how to close some ports on my box! I dont have a firewall so I figured it would be a good idea. also I am directly connected to the net, no server or anything. Is there a simple command like close port 21, or is it more difficult than that? I ran nmap and it says port 80 is closed how can this be when I am writing this online now? any advise would be appreciated. thanks
    The easiest method apt-get remove --purge name_of_whatever_ftp_server_is_running no server no open port. You can get online because you are being served the pages not serving them up therefore no web server running on port 80. If you want to scan your computer from the internet to see what is open the Sheild's up tools can do the job. Some other firewalls you may want to consider they are all available with apt-get.


    http://www.simonzone.com/software/guarddog/
    http://firestarter.sourceforge.net/
    http://www.bastille-linux.org/

    Or if you want to roll your own.

    http://morizot.net/firewall/gen/
    http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.n...-tutorial.html

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26
    thanks stephen and dewd, you helped alot my system is almost secure I just have one more issue, when I run nmap it still says alot of ports are open but when I use the shields up that you suggested it says that they are all stealthed except port 67 which is open and port 68 wich is closed. 67 is bootstrap protocol server, 68 is bootstrap protocol client. I can't find any info on how to stealth them so if you could point me in the rite direction I would be greatful. thanks

Similar Threads

  1. Rear USB ports do not work?
    By Maverik in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-02-2005, 07:31 AM
  2. Problems with NVIDIA and boot (closing x-server) Knoppix 3.7
    By Coffee-OD in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-31-2005, 10:43 PM
  3. Closing all apps.
    By Benox in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-21-2004, 06:40 PM
  4. firewall yes or no can ports be opened
    By firebyrd10 in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-02-2004, 10:58 PM
  5. How to open ports for eetee P2P :(
    By cortechs in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-04-2004, 09:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM picture

Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM

$10.99



Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM DDR4 DIMM 128GB 2666MHz [8x16GB] picture

Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM DDR4 DIMM 128GB 2666MHz [8x16GB]

$600.00



Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB) picture

Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB)

$164.95



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$43.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB (2x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz F4-3200C16D-32GVK picture

G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB (2x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz F4-3200C16D-32GVK

$135.00



GSKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB (2x 16GB) 6000MTs CL30 *AMD EXPO* RAM Kit picture

GSKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB (2x 16GB) 6000MTs CL30 *AMD EXPO* RAM Kit

$499.99



Sk Hynix 8GB PC4-3200AA PC4-3200 260-Pin SO-DIMM Laptop RAM picture

Sk Hynix 8GB PC4-3200AA PC4-3200 260-Pin SO-DIMM Laptop RAM

$37.99



Samsung 16GB DDR4 SO-DIMM Laptop RAM PC4-2666V M471A2K43DB1-CTD picture

Samsung 16GB DDR4 SO-DIMM Laptop RAM PC4-2666V M471A2K43DB1-CTD

$65.00



TEAMGROUP Team Elite 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 240-Pin DIMM picture

TEAMGROUP Team Elite 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 240-Pin DIMM

$28.12