-
Knewbie 2 Knoppix - thin client question
I am totally new to Knoppix but not to Linux - I am quite happy compiling kernels and stuff.
I want to create a thin client that can drop on to a Windows desktop which will enable me to view X over the internet. I had thought of using Weirdmind which is X in a browser but because of changes to the Java security model, this will need some work.
It has been suggested that Knoppix or Knoppsys (?) is a possibility - ie create a tiny Linux machine that just contains X which will auto-ssh on startup, detecting the relevant hardware of the Windows box. This would actually be a nice solution as long as the module was not too big.
Does anyone know whether this has been done or is actually possible?
TIA
-
Senior Member
registered user
Take a look at:
Creating Linux Diskless Client For Windows 2k/2003 Terminal Service
By Avinoam Levkovich
http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue93/levkovich.html
johnb
-
That's an interesting application which I will keep in mind but it's actually the wrong way round. I have a Linux server for which I am looking for a thin client to run on a Windows (anything - 98, XP, 2k ...) machine.
In many ways the ideal cross-platform solution is browser based but in the real world, most client machines will be PC.
One solution would be a stripped down CygWin but I since you can run Knoppix as a demo on a windows box, it was suggested to me that it could be used as a thin client.
Similar Threads
-
By mduvall216 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-28-2004, 05:48 PM
-
By Magic_Pack in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-13-2004, 02:57 PM
-
By true1ever in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 7
Last Post: 03-28-2004, 10:40 PM
-
By sireasoning in forum Ideas
Replies: 6
Last Post: 10-26-2003, 05:45 AM
-
By caffeine in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-12-2003, 07:17 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge R640 8xSFF Server Barebone 2 x Heat Sink w / 2x 1100W PSU
$315.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99