-
Newbie Question: How to boot from CD, and still access HD?
I have an old 486 computer that I have no use for, until I found Knoppix. I'd like to be able to still boot from the Knoppix CD, since I've heard that doing an HD Install really only makes it Debian. However, I'd still like to be able to save everything, preferences, email, etc. to the hard drive on the computer? Is that what the Home Persistant is? Or how would I do it?
Thanks in advance.
Edit: Also I've heard a lot about "remastering" the CD. What does this accomplish? And what can I do with it? Does it let me add programs to Knoppix? If not, how do I do that?
Once again, thanks for helping a Linux newbie, though if I can get these questions answered, I'm never going back to windows, save for some games and maybe photoshop.
Similar Threads
-
By Fred666 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 8
Last Post: 08-26-2004, 03:43 AM
-
By stephen_w_simpson in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 03-19-2004, 03:36 PM
-
By Drago in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM
-
By Callick in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-25-2003, 09:00 AM
-
By JMichael in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-06-2003, 08:01 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU
$7.95

NEW HP Z4 G4 Workstation Xeon W-2123 16GB ECC 256GB NVMe NVIDIA T400 750W Win11
$450.00

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54

Dell T7910 Workstation Tower Homelab AI Server PC - Xeon CPU - NO HDD/RAM/GPU
$279.99

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX
$149.99

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c TWR Xeon W-2123, 8GB DDR4, NO SSD/OS, Quadro K2000 #95
$219.99