If you use Knoppix as a powerful installer for a "normal" Debian system, the first task after installing is to bring down the installed packages to a minimum list.
What is the fastest way of doing this ?
I ususally perform a dpkg -L and perform a dpkg --purge of each package I do not need ... works but is VERY LONG ...
More intelligent approaches ?
Thank you. Bob
Thank you very much.Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
In my previous runs I found it very cumbersome to "delete the packages you want to keep" as needed by the "kicklist.txt" approach !
I'd probably want a list of what I really need and hopefully apt shoudl get the dependencies straight.
The only problem I have is that I could delete some package which I really do not know very well but is useful for knoppix to behave as expected.
Bob
In my experience it is wise to leave any knoppix specific packages. They're listed in their own section if you use Synaptic.
Yes a kicklist does need to be created initially but could then be used (with a bit of fine tuning) for later installs.
Most any application that you don't use can be nuked and apt will solve the dependencies. Just take your time and look at what will be removed. Synaptic makes it very easy to see what will be removed.
Of course it's not wise to remove x-windows.
apt-get remove libarts1 will nuke (nearly) all of KDE for example.

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation
$79.95
Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board
$119.99
Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012
$74.99
Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)
$279.99
Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal
$150.00
Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)
$499.99
6 Vintage DEC Digital System Building Blocks - Flip Chips
$195.00
VINTAGE DEC 54-20470-02 MULTI-PLANE SPX COLOR GRAPHICS CARD FOR VXT2000 TERMINAL
$169.00
Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW
$269.99
Vintage DEC Digital M8153 RH70 UNIBUS CONTROL-BCT (B15)
$139.99