Well, what language are you interested in? GNU gcc is a library of several compilers (g++ for c++, gcj for javac, etc).
Regards,
AJG
I know nothing virtually nothing about coding or programing like the rest of you guys but is there a link or 2 you could give me that shows my how to learn??? IF you could I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks
Well, what language are you interested in? GNU gcc is a library of several compilers (g++ for c++, gcj for javac, etc).
Regards,
AJG
"Well, what language are you interested in? GNU gcc is a library of several compilers (g++ for c++, gcj for javac, etc). "
I am not quite sure, I think that c++ is the most common and therefore would probably be my best bet but I am open to suggestions. What language do you think is the best?
Thanks
OK, you can quote me as follows
"Linux is a better Unix than Unix",
"Knoppix is a better Linux than Linux"
and
"C++ is a better C than C",
"Java is a better C++ then C++"
So, do the math! As a result, I've switched over to Knoppix + Java for object oriented programming with data structures (the course I teach).
Why don't you try the following sample "hello world" programs in KNOPPIX and see which you like better, c++ or java.
//hello.cc editted with kate
using namespace std;
#include iostream //<> around iostream won't show in forum
int main()
{
.....cout << "Hello!" << endl;
.....return 0;
}
Compile C++ in shell
g++ -o hello hello.cc
Execute C++ in shell
./hello
//Hello.java editted with kate
public class Hello
{
.....public static void main(String[] args)
.....{
..........System.out.println("Hello!");
.....}
}
Translate Java in shell
javac Hello.java
Interpret Java in shell
java Hello
BTW, "....." means TAB (I can't tab in the forum).
Enjoy!
Regards,
AJG
I don't want to start a flame war but I'd like to point out that not everyone agrees on that one.Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
![]()
I'm saying this only in the context of teaching and learning object orientation.Originally Posted by windos_no_thanks
Regards,
AJG
I found a good site to learn java on called http://www.javaforstudents.co.uk and I highly recomend it for newbies like myself. I found suns tutorials too confusing to navigate.
hope this can help someone like me.

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99
Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99
TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99
NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99
5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64
10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99
TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98
Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00
Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99