-
Senior Member
registered user
A "very" simple, and noob, question...
Being almost a toddler in the Linux World, these kinds of issues are not a concern in the Windows World...
When would you need to be a Root, and when can you "live" with just being a "user"?
For months now, not having the idea/theory of this down yet, I have ALWAYS logged out as my User account, and re-logged in as Root, to do apt-get updates, installs, and upgrades. From the jest, within this forum, I am starting to feel that this isn't the case. That only "certain" things require you to be "God", and most "everything" else, can just be done as a User.
Like I said, I haven't quite "caught on" to Linux yet, and I haven't really found a "clear-cut" answer to "when and where" this seperation is made.
Can someone "elaborately enlighten" me on this perplexion? ( I would be thankful in being able to isolate my further learning in this area
)
Cuddles
PS -=- I am quite sure that "this" forum has had these issues before, considering the "newness" a lot of people have to some of the "unique" situations that come along with Linux, and its concepts - but, maybe someone was unsure how to post it ?
Similar Threads
-
By timread in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-18-2004, 06:50 PM
-
By zombi3 in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 12-25-2003, 07:05 AM
-
By oreo in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 07-23-2003, 06:33 PM
-
By geebee2000 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 9
Last Post: 05-21-2003, 07:29 PM
-
By Juny in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-14-2003, 09:02 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P
$71.49

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99

MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ...
$89.99

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU
$45.00

Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Motherboard
$54.99