Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
LOL

Yep - thats me, all over...

Too many years under M$ control - but Knoppix has parolled me

To get the idea here, instead of doing the "sudo", couldn't I also just do a "su", log in, and when I am done, "exit" from the Root login? - I have been trying more things that way...

By using my method above, that "Root" login IS not global is it? ( in other words, only "that" window is Root, and doesn't make all other "running" windows, etc... Root, right? )

If I understand you correctly: the following is what "I used to do" -=- followed by what "I could do"

Root User Login -=- User Login ( with a su shell open, and when done, closing it )
apt-get anything -=- apt-get anything

I guess your idea by using the sudo [something] - is a "one shot" command, whereas, my usage, can have multiple commands before closing the window down.

You know, their might just be hope for me yet [giggle]
Cuddles
Yes sudo is a one shot and getting root in a term is good if you intend on executing multiple commands as root and don't wish to type 'sudo' everytime. Of course leaving a root shell open on an accessable pc is probably not a good idea. Like Markus said it is a matter of taste. Just don't feel that you have to log out and then back in- absolutely not necessary.