Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: How do u patch a kernel?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9

    How do u patch a kernel?

    Hi I have a speedtouch dsl modem and I`d like to know how to patch a kernel(btw I am linux nooB). Also there`s a how to for Debian users(we are Debian users right??). It requires me to use apt-get install, how I am supposed to download the kernel if I can`t even connect through the internet??

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: How do u patch a kernel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke187
    Hi I have a speedtouch dsl modem and I`d like to know how to patch a kernel(btw I am linux nooB). Also there`s a how to for Debian users(we are Debian users right??). It requires me to use apt-get install, how I am supposed to download the kernel if I can`t even connect through the internet??
    Your online now so you have access to the internet you use this access to go to www.kernel.org and get the kernel you want download to your current install then when you have booted to the HD install of knoppix you mount the partition that you have the kernel source on and copy it to /usr/src. Once there you would cd /usr/src then tar -xjvf linux-2.??.?? to extract the source next cd linux-2.??.?? change to the directory created during the extraction and patch -p1 < /path/to/patch/file patch the kernel source tree now cd .. change back to the /usr/src directory. Then you would use the standard Debian steps to configure and install a kernel.

    Code:
    cd /usr/src
    ln -s linux-2.??.?? linux      
    cd linux
    make {menu,x,g}config     
    fakeroot make-kpkg clean
    fakeroot make-kpkg kernel_image kernel_headers
    cd ..
    su
    password for root
    dpkg -i kernel_image.......deb kernel_headers.......deb
    reboot to the new kernel
    A more complete guide is here.

Similar Threads

  1. cloop kernel patch
    By Albert in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-26-2004, 05:26 PM
  2. how can I apply a kernel patch ?
    By mazaal in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-12-2004, 07:10 AM
  3. Would someone please patch the knoppix kernel with i2c?
    By arkaine23 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-20-2003, 02:11 PM
  4. Knoppix-kernel.patch
    By ozfrog in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-21-2003, 04:30 PM
  5. Where's the KNOPPIX kernel patch
    By henriquegobbi in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-19-2003, 02:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond

$140.00



Vintage Apple Assembly Line Newsletter Vol: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 From 1984 picture

Vintage Apple Assembly Line Newsletter Vol: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 From 1984

$179.99



LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED picture

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED

$80.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh LC M0350 Desktop No Harddrive No Power Supply - Parts picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh LC M0350 Desktop No Harddrive No Power Supply - Parts

$71.95



Retro Vintage Apple M0110A Compact Wired Mechanical keyboard for Macintosh Plus picture

Retro Vintage Apple M0110A Compact Wired Mechanical keyboard for Macintosh Plus

$64.95



Vintage Apple Keyboard II Mo487 In Black picture

Vintage Apple Keyboard II Mo487 In Black

$300.00



Vintage Apple AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone MC745LL/A COLLECTIBLE ONLY picture

Vintage Apple AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone MC745LL/A COLLECTIBLE ONLY

$20.00



Vintage Apple III Joystick Cursor III - A3M0010 picture

Vintage Apple III Joystick Cursor III - A3M0010

$99.00



Apple cloth fabric banner iBook bondi blue orange NOS Vintage picture

Apple cloth fabric banner iBook bondi blue orange NOS Vintage

$99.00



Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9

Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand

$275.00