Well i did the way described above and now if i try to login i am sent back to console!![]()
if i type startx in the console i can see shortly the screen and then i am again sent back to console but there are no errors.
Has anyone suggestions?
Well i did the way described above and now if i try to login i am sent back to console!![]()
if i type startx in the console i can see shortly the screen and then i am again sent back to console but there are no errors.
Has anyone suggestions?
I had no luck at all with the getting the CVS kicker build to not flicker, setting transparencies and background images did absolutely zero (no background image, no transparency just the wonderful flicker). however thankfully kicker is one of the handful of KDE 3.2.1 packages that has made its way into sid and upgrading to those packages has fixed all of these issues.
as for debi's cooments it sounds like something i ran into a while back after upgrading kde. It sounds like xdm/kdm is up and running when that comes up and you log in the first time you have yo specify to log into KDE, which will then set KDE as the default, for some reason after upgrading at times the default widnow manager isn;t set and a login will kick you right back out.
If you follow these instructions they should provide the easiest and most hassle free way to upgrade knoppix.
Maybe I was doing something wrong, but I tried doing everything on this page 4 times and failed each time. Now it seems KDE 3.2 is mostly in the unstable repository, and I'll describe what I did which eventually worked. After messing everything up, I did a clean install with the latest version of Knoppix 3.3
Do NOT add any extra lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list file
Here is all you need to do people.
(revised guide, thanks Stephen)
1. Install Knoppix
2. log in as root (Do NOT do this from KDE, log into fluxbox or just do it from the console.)
3. apt-get update
4. apt-get -u -t unstable dist-upgrade
it downloads the packages and on mine and likely anyone else using a new clean version of knoppix it failed after doing trying to install kdebase.
5. dpkg --force--overwrite --install xxx.deb for each package that has this problem. (if you get a huge list of things you need to force try doing a 'apt-get -f install')
6. dpkg --configure -a
7. apt-get -u -t unstable dist-upgrade (it picks up where it left off)
follow steps 4 - 7 until you get no more errors
8. apt-get -u -t unstable install kdeartwork
9. Log out and type kdm, or just reboot.
10. Enjoy!
Anyway, it works. mostly, I don't seem to have the new taskbar applets but I think thats just because they havn't been added to the repository yet.
Correct KDE 3.2.1 is mostly in unstable now.Originally Posted by kovk
Should be -t unstable you do not need the people packages and some people may want to use apt-get install -t unstable kdebase kdebase-bin ..... until you have all the KDE packages installed if they do not want to upgrade their whole install to unstable.
4. apt-get -u -t people.debian.org dist-upgrade
Good thing it was a fresh install and not the CVS packages I had to do all kinds of overwrites.it downloads the packages and on mine(and likely anyone else using this version of knoppix. it failed after doing trying to install kdebase)
5. dpkg --force--overwrite --install xxx.deb for each package that has this problem. (should just be one, kdebase)
You should always use dpkg --configure -a before picking back up to configure any packages that may have been missed when you had the errors and had to force overwrite.6. apt-get -u -t people.debian.org dist-upgrade (it picks up where it left off)
You missed some of the artwork packages it was either the -style or the -theme-window that did not get installed on mine.
Anyway, it works. mostly, I don't seem to have the new taskbar applets or the plastik theme, but I think thats just because they havn't been added to the repository yet. I assume they will appear and I will be able to get them later with an additional 'apt-get -u -t people.debian.org dist-upgrade'
Code:[10:21 PM Sun Mar 07: stephen @ ~] >$ COLUMNS=125 dpkg -l | grep 3.2.1 [snip...] ii kdeartwork 3.2.1-1 themes, styles and more from the official KDE release ii kdeartwork-misc 3.2.1-1 various multimedia goodies released with KDE ii kdeartwork-style 3.2.1-1 widget styles released with KDE ii kdeartwork-theme-desktop 3.2.1-1 Dummy upgrade package for official KDE desktop themes ii kdeartwork-theme-icon 3.2.1-1 icon themes released with KDE ii kdeartwork-theme-window 3.2.1-1 window decoration themes released with KDE [snip...]
Now the next challenge is to intergrate this into a remaster. Can anyone speculate whether or not the 45Xsession script will need to be modified to initiate KDE3.2 single live-cd session?
Stephen,
(Or anyone else who has been using 3.2/3.2.1) have you had problems using alt + tab to switch between windows? I've found that on more than one of my machines if I have a few applications open and try and switch between them using alt + tab that sometimes window preview app pops up and then gets stuck. This would also happen in 3.1 occasionally but I found that clicking on the preview window itself would usually get rid of it. In 3.2 the problem has been much worse for me. When it gets stuck in 3.2, there is nothing I can do. The mouse will move all around the screen, but virtually none of the kde windows will respond to any right or left clicks. Moreover, the keyboard pretty unresponsive altogether. This means that trying to get into a virtual terminal and kill something via ctrl + alt + Fn won't work at all. Ctrl + alt + esc won't invoke xkill either. I have been able to ssh into said box and kill kdm. Then I can restart KDE w/o rebooting, but what sort of solution is this? Not a very good one. I haven't updated to 3.2.1 yet so maybe it's fixed there. Anyone else had this problem though? I asked about it in irc at #kde, but didn't get much of a response: just someone who didn't like Debian.
Thanks,
Adam
No never seen that it works fine here and has through the CVS till now, the only thing I see a problem with is using the preview a post a couple of times a day at most it seg faults Konqueror and it is only here on this site that I have the problem damn weird. Although I do seem to recall reading somewhere about kdeinit taking about 100% cpu usage on occasion I think that was on the CVS or Debian User mailing list. I would say definitely upgrade if only to get the official packages then see if the problem persists.Originally Posted by aay
I'm trying to upgrade KDE but am having problems. I am logged in as root in a shell in IceWM.
I tried `apt-get -f install' but that just gave me a lot of 'error processing' and 'dependency problems'Code:root@Knoppix:/home/christopher# dpkg --force --overwrite --install libice6_4.3.0-5_i386.deb dpkg: unknown force/refuse option `--overwrite' ... root@Knoppix:/home/christopher# dpkg --force--overwrite --install libice6_4.3.0-5_i386.deb dpkg: unknown force/refuse option `-overwrite'With all these errors I have not tried step 8. 'apt-get -u -t unstable install kdeartwork'.Code:dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kdelibs4-dev: kdelibs4-dev depends on libarts1-dev; however: Package libarts1-dev is not configured yet. dpkg: error processing kdelibs4-dev (--configure): dependency problems - leaving unconfigured Errors were encountered while processing: libxpm-dev libxp-dev libxext-dev libxrandr-dev libxv-dev j2re1.4 libxtst-dev libxi-dev libsm-dev libice-dev libxt-dev xlibs-static-dev libxmuu-dev libx11-dev libxtrap-dev xlibs-dev libxmu-dev libqt3-mt-dev libarts1-dev kdelibs4-dev
Any ideas as to what to try next?
[[This is an install of Knoppix 3.3 (2003-11-19 I think) installed to a firewire HDD; I am using the CD to boot to run level 2 then doing a pivot_root to switch the root to the firewire HDD and then going to run level 5.]]
dpkg -i --force-overwrite libice6_4.3.0-5_i386.deb and put all the files that need overwriting on the same line and then dpkg --configure -a to configure any packages that may have been missed when the error happened.
thanks for a quick reply :) I tried that, but still no go
I then tried 'dpkg --configure -a' but that just gave me errors as wellCode:E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1) root@Knoppix:/home/christopher# dpkg -i --force-overwrite libice6_4.3.0-5_i386.d eb libsm6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb libx11-6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb libxext6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb l ibxi6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb libxt6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb libxmu6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb libxmuu1 _4.3.0-7_i386.deb libxp6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb libxpm4_4.3.0-7_i386.deb libxrandr2_4. 3.0-7_i386.deb libxtrap6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb libxtst6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb libxv1_4.3.0 -7_i386.deb dpkg: error processing libice6_4.3.0-5_i386.deb (--install): cannot access archive: No such file or directory dpkg: error processing libsm6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb (--install): cannot access archive: No such file or directory dpkg: error processing libx11-6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb (--install): cannot access archive: No such file or directory dpkg: error processing libxext6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb (--install): cannot access archive: No such file or directory dpkg: error processing libxi6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb (--install): cannot access archive: No such file or directory dpkg: error processing libxt6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb (--install): cannot access archive: No such file or directory dpkg: error processing libxmu6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb (--install): cannot access archive: No such file or directory dpkg: error processing libxmuu1_4.3.0-7_i386.deb (--install): cannot access archive: No such file or directory dpkg: error processing libxp6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb (--install): cannot access archive: No such file or directory dpkg: error processing libxpm4_4.3.0-7_i386.deb (--install): cannot access archive: No such file or directory dpkg: error processing libxrandr2_4.3.0-7_i386.deb (--install): cannot access archive: No such file or directory dpkg: error processing libxtrap6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb (--install): cannot access archive: No such file or directory dpkg: error processing libxtst6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb (--install): cannot access archive: No such file or directory dpkg: error processing libxv1_4.3.0-7_i386.deb (--install): cannot access archive: No such file or directory Errors were encountered while processing: libice6_4.3.0-5_i386.deb libsm6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb libx11-6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb libxext6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb libxi6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb libxt6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb libxmu6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb libxmuu1_4.3.0-7_i386.deb libxp6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb libxpm4_4.3.0-7_i386.deb libxrandr2_4.3.0-7_i386.deb libxtrap6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb libxtst6_4.3.0-7_i386.deb libxv1_4.3.0-7_i386.deb
I get the impression that it is not to be... Wonder if Knoppix 3.4 CeBit edition will have kde 3.2. Oh well if you or anyone else still have any ideas I'm listening. I don;t suppose it could be a problem with my sources.list?Code:<snip> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libarts1-dev: libarts1-dev depends on libqt3-mt-dev; however: Package libqt3-mt-dev is not configured yet. dpkg: error processing libarts1-dev (--configure): dependency problems - leaving unconfigured dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kdelibs4-dev: kdelibs4-dev depends on libarts1-dev; however: Package libarts1-dev is not configured yet. dpkg: error processing kdelibs4-dev (--configure): dependency problems - leaving unconfigured Errors were encountered while processing: libxpm-dev libxp-dev libxext-dev libxrandr-dev libxv-dev j2re1.4 libxtst-dev libxi-dev libsm-dev libice-dev libxt-dev xlibs-static-dev libxmuu-dev libx11-dev libxtrap-dev xlibs-dev libxmu-dev libqt3-mt-dev libarts1-dev

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00
Lot of 5 Samsung PM9B1 256GB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 x4 NVMe SSD MZVL4256HBJD SSD
$200.00
Samsung Notebook 9 Pen Touchscreen 2-in-1 Motherboard NP930SBE-K01US
$111.19
RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99
RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99
Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung
$89.99
RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+
$174.99
NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue
$225.77
New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00