Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: KnoppixCLuster Firewall

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7

    KnoppixCLuster Firewall

    I have just started using KnoppixCluster and hope to setup a firewall using KnoppixCluster. How do I go about doing it?

    I am hoping to use it with the failover function with 3 PCs so that should anyone of my machines fail, the other will take over. Is this architecture possible?

    I am a newbie and do not know much about using Knoppix.

    I welcome all possible suggestions and is grateful for any reply.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    To give you an appropriate answer, I must break down what you are asking.
    It sounds like you want to provide redundant or failover capabilities for a linux firewall. Most firewalls provide TCP/IP layers 2,3, & 4 routing & filtering. Clusters are distributed applications across machines for processing (like a Beowulf MPI cluster for scientific applications) or for high availability or guaranteed uptime (http://linux-ha.org/). It sounds like you are using ClusterKnoppix which is based on OpenMosix. OpenMosix clusters typically exist at the "layer 7" or application level of the network. OpenMosix's goal is to provide better processing throughput by delegating & passing around the workload to the best possible nodes.

    The type of "clustering" that you are looking for in regards to routers or firewalls is similar to Cisco's HSRP or the more open standard VRRP. I have setup 2 pairs of Cisco routers in HSRP and I must admit it is quite impressive. I have not investigated VRRP in regards to linux other than a quick google. You may infact be able to use linux-ha to work in the way that you want but as far as I know a OpenMosix cluster will not provide hot-standby/failover capabilites in regards to firewalling & routing.

    You may want to read these articles at LINUX MAGAZINE:
    "Highly-Affordable High Availability" and "Linux Virtual Server Clusters"

    I hope this helps.
    James

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7
    Thanks alot!

    It really help, I am now trying to figure out how it can help me and how do I go about doing it.

    Really appreciate your information. Will definately be very useful. :P

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    You are welcome!
    If you do come up with some solution then please document it & post it here as I would like to know how it turns out.

    James

Similar Threads

  1. Firewall?
    By rubic_cube in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-31-2005, 04:38 PM
  2. Firewall
    By swazi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-11-2004, 04:42 PM
  3. Firewall and Router
    By ZeuZ in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-15-2004, 12:50 AM
  4. firewall
    By dugstratton in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-14-2004, 01:20 AM
  5. Firewall
    By georgetoon in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-21-2003, 04:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series picture

ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series

$235.99



Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK picture

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK

$154.99