Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: knoppix -> Realtek 8139 problems connecting to home lan

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    3

    knoppix -> Realtek 8139 problems connecting to home lan

    Hi... Someone out there willing to help me ? I 've browsed this forum and a lot others to find a solution... in vain.

    I 'm a linux newbie, but liked to convince myself that it 's just better than Windows... Having a difficult time with it. I Installed Fedora, that was a nice smooth install, had internet acces and lan immediately.
    But... It ran significantly slower than knoppix. (200MMX 150MB ram)

    So... I installed knoppix to my harddisk, but I can 't get my internet connection nor lan to work. I connect to a W2K pc via a cross over cable, same thing under fedora did the trick...

    Some things I already tried:
    • knoppix=noapci at boot didn 't help
      pump -i fails (whatever that means)
      lspci does list my ethernetcard (RTL 8139/...C/...C+) rev10
      lsmod doesn 't list 8139too (which I think is the driver for that card ???)
      when used modprobe 8139too, lsmod lists it, with a 0 next to it...
      netcardconfig fails to send dhcp
      the lisa network wizard can 't find a network interface
      ifconfig -a returns almost everywhere a 0 except for txqueuelen: 1000


    If someone can help me with this one, I'll be able to continue exploring linux... A nice tutorial about what modules are, how to load them, how drivers are used in linux etc.. would be nice too... I 'm willing to do the work myself, but am really stuck rightnow !

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    try "knoppix noapic" (no equal sign!)

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    3

    other networkcard (D-link) does better...

    Hi, thank you for your quick answer... I tried the noapic without =, like it 's described in the boot options. But that didn 't gave any changes...
    in the mean time, I tried a networkcard from a friend (D-link), and now the dhcp broadcast succeeds. So, getting an IP adress, starting the samba server and accessing the windows pc works as well. But... when I try accessing the internet via the network, this time I get the error (translated) "Server timed out, connection from <url> was on port 80."

    Does anyone have any suggestions on:
    • How to get the realtek to work (did work already on Fedora)
      How to solve the server time out problem


    Thanks !

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    15
    i have that realtek. didn' thave to anything. setup is phone to dlink router to realtec nic. only thing i can't get going is the d-link dwl-122 usb wifi going on my other pc.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    3

    d-link card works...

    I tried a D-link nic and that one works problemless...
    thanks for the reply 's !

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: other networkcard (D-link) does better...

    Quote Originally Posted by willempie
    ...
    in the mean time, I tried a networkcard from a friend (D-link), and now the dhcp broadcast succeeds. So, getting an IP adress, starting the samba server and accessing the windows pc works as well. But... when I try accessing the internet via the network, this time I get the error (translated) "Server timed out, connection from <url> was on port 80."

    Does anyone have any suggestions on:
    • How to get the realtek to work (did work already on Fedora)
      How to solve the server time out problem
    It sounds very much like your Realtek NIC now has the problem I've written of in several other posts here particularly here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2117 and here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2164

    What flavor of Windows have you run on the computer with that NIC? Have you accepted the "security updates" that Microsoft releases?

    As to a suggestion on how to get the Realtek to work: Yes, I believe that you can get it to work, and would very strongly encourage you to do so and document everything you can. Having this problem with an easily removable and very common PCI NIC rather than one built into a notebook (as happened to me) should be a big help. At least you can try doing things that I'm not willing to do to my $1000+ notebook. Once you have read through the above threads I would suggest that you go to http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html and download all of the tools you can find for your NIC, particularly ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/diag/rtl8139-diag.c. I would suggest doing the following: Dump the current contents of the configuration eeprom for your NIC. If you can find someone else with the same NIC, particularly if it works under Knoppix (or if it's new and has never run under Windows), get them to dump their NIC eeprom too. You should be able to replace the eeprom settings in your NIC with the eeprom settings for a working NIC, after making changes to allow for the different MAC addresses stored in the NIC eeprom. Also you may find that there is an "emergency reset" feature in the diag that should (in theory) get your NIC back into a safe configuration (hint: don't just check the built in help, read through the C code, I've found more features in these diags than the minimal /? feature documents). Since we're talking about a $5 NIC here rather than a $1000 notebook, I would urge you to try this emergency reset feature (after you document what the eeprom contains).

    If you do the above, please report back what happened, sucess or failure. And if you get the NIC working again, please do a few things:
    • Post back here the eeprom dumps for both the failing configuration and the working configuration.

      AFTER you test under Knoppix, run Windows again and then see if Knoppix still can use the NIC.

      Assuming that the NIC still works under Knoppix (I think it will), download and apply the current security updates and then see if Knoppix can still boot.


    Note as of 6/4/2004. The www.scyld.com website has changed and the http URL given for it above no longer works. The site indicates that they are making changes and the diagnostics links may be back at some point. The FTP site still does seem to be working, so the FTP link for this diagnostic is good, and other diagnostics may well be accessed by logging into the fpt site and searching for them.

Similar Threads

  1. RealTek 8139 ethernet driver error / Knoppix Linux 3.3
    By brycen in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-26-2004, 08:39 AM
  2. Problems with Realtek 8139 on Desknote 901
    By anastas in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-06-2004, 04:58 PM
  3. Trying to get Realtek 8139 working
    By coltrane in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-09-2004, 01:50 AM
  4. yet another problem with realtek 8139...
    By giax in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-13-2003, 04:01 AM
  5. more realtek 8139 NIC problems
    By nmather in forum Networking
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-23-2003, 07:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord picture

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord

$174.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



JUNIPER QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48x 10/25GbE SFP28 8x 40/100GbE Network Switch Dual PSU picture

JUNIPER QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48x 10/25GbE SFP28 8x 40/100GbE Network Switch Dual PSU

$6998.00



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99 picture

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99

$24.99



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic

$79.86



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99