Maybe will help some other poor soul like myself. I surely haven't come across it googling or in the forums - got the icons to save position by deleting the sorticons.desktop in the KDE autostart directory
perhaps, but it is bugging me and I hope one of you folks know how to fix this. I can't get the icon positions on the desktop saved under user. Icon positions hold for the root desktop but not user, they are piled back over on the left next session. Other looknfeel type settings are saving (colors, wallpaper, theme). This is a hd install (debian style) of knoppix 3.3 with KDE 3.1.5 and I have done no upgrades yet.
Maybe will help some other poor soul like myself. I surely haven't come across it googling or in the forums - got the icons to save position by deleting the sorticons.desktop in the KDE autostart directory

NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED
$2999.99
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99
Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99
Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00
Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network
$874.99
New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US
$17.00
Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords
$240.00
Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points
$30.00
NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00