Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: HDD install EASY AS

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7

    HDD install EASY AS

    I have just installed Knoppix 3.3 (16/02/2004)
    Man how easy was the set up, it has really improved...

    The last Knoppix I tried was 3.1 that was good too but this was great....I've tried Debian a few times and failed miserably, So I am dumping Mandrake 9.2 for Knoppix/Debian mainly because apt-get is so good....I am keeping my XP partition though some things in there are a bit easier than Linux....

    apt-get install tuxracer THAT EASY ! ! ! !

    And how easy is the Nvidia install with the script supplied by Kano @ http://kano.mipooh.net/

    Having trouble with 1024x768 though....
    I edited the XF86Config-4 file and added "1024x768" in the appropriate section but no go as of yet...I logged out and alt-ctrl-backspace to restart x server (should I reeboot? guess I'll find out later)

    Sound works fine (wouldn't with a Debian install)..
    It put my Windows partition shortcuts on the desktop..

    Just got to look into putting "/Knoppix/home" onto a spare ext3 partition I have....If I move "Knoppix/Home" to another partition can I change the name?

    Cheers guys..

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: HDD install EASY AS

    Quote Originally Posted by KeithBlake
    Having trouble with 1024x768 though....
    I edited the XF86Config-4 file and added "1024x768" in the appropriate section but no go as of yet...I logged out and alt-ctrl-backspace to restart x server (should I reeboot? guess I'll find out later)
    You should also have:

    Code:
    DefaultColorDepth 24
    and

    Code:
     SubSection "Display"
                    Depth     24
                    Modes "1024x768"
    Just got to look into putting "/Knoppix/home" onto a spare ext3 partition I have....If I move "Knoppix/Home" to another partition can I change the name?

    Cheers guys..
    Maybe I don't follow you correctly. When you installed you should have had the opprtunity to create a new user. Is that what you mean by "change the name"? There shouldn't be any directory named /Knoppix/home but simply /home and in /home you would find the username you created. You can move /home if you like (although it's much easier to do it during install ).

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7

    Thanks

    Thanks for the reply and the info on 1024x768...

    I must have missed something on the install regarding the home partition and the creation of different users..
    Might reinstall and go through it all again...

    Thanks again..

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    Did you use knx-hdinstall rather than the newer knoppix-installer? Because, as rickenbacherus says, you should have been asked to choose the user name during the install if you used the newer script. I doubt ya missed it...probably just used the older script.

    And to put your home partition on a different partition will require that you manually alter the config file...check out Rickenbacherus' howto.

Similar Threads

  1. Easy way to install Knoppix to hard drive
    By A.I.M. in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-25-2005, 08:17 AM
  2. Looking for an easy to install pci wlan-card
    By Mr.45er in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-23-2005, 01:55 AM
  3. Easy way to install?
    By Hunkah in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-01-2004, 02:14 PM
  4. Easy HD-install
    By arolas in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-18-2004, 11:01 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-12-2004, 12:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OEM Genuine 42Wh WDX0R For DELL Inspiron WDXOR Battery 15 5567 5568 13 5368 7368 picture

OEM Genuine 42Wh WDX0R For DELL Inspiron WDXOR Battery 15 5567 5568 13 5368 7368

$22.99



OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5501 5410 5510 E5411 E5511 picture

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5501 5410 5510 E5411 E5511

$28.99



OEM Genuine 95WH PKWVM C903V Battery 7550 For Dell Precision CR72X 17C06 447VR picture

OEM Genuine 95WH PKWVM C903V Battery 7550 For Dell Precision CR72X 17C06 447VR

$37.40



NEW OEM Dell Battery Latitude 5430 7330 Rugged Extreme 53.5Wh 11.4V 06JRCP XVJNP picture

NEW OEM Dell Battery Latitude 5430 7330 Rugged Extreme 53.5Wh 11.4V 06JRCP XVJNP

$99.95



OEM Genuine 86WH 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17 picture

OEM Genuine 86WH 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17

$45.49



OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5411 15 5501 5511 Precision 3541 picture

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5411 15 5501 5511 Precision 3541

$35.78



Lot of 5 Dell OEM 65W 7.4mm 19.5V 3.34A AC Adapters Mixed Models B Grade picture

Lot of 5 Dell OEM 65W 7.4mm 19.5V 3.34A AC Adapters Mixed Models B Grade

$36.99



NEW OEM V6W33 Battery For Dell Inspiron 3510 5510 Latitude 3330 3320 Vostro 3515 picture

NEW OEM V6W33 Battery For Dell Inspiron 3510 5510 Latitude 3330 3320 Vostro 3515

$22.00



Genuine OEM 63Wh 7FMXV Battery For Dell Latitude 5320 7320 7420 7520 4M1JN TN2GY picture

Genuine OEM 63Wh 7FMXV Battery For Dell Latitude 5320 7320 7420 7520 4M1JN TN2GY

$32.99



New Genuine OEM Dell Latitude 5420 5520 3560 4 Cell Laptop Battery RJ40G M033W picture

New Genuine OEM Dell Latitude 5420 5520 3560 4 Cell Laptop Battery RJ40G M033W

$49.95