-
How to install drivers when using LiveCD
I'm new here and am curious of the best method to install a driver, that is not on the cd, using LiveCD. I have an Orinoco b/g gold card (8470-WD) it seems that there are no drivers that support it. I have read that since it uses an Astheros chip I should try out the madwifi drivers. I gave it a shot last nite and it said it could not write to that specific directory, which I am assuming is located on the cd. Any ideas of how to get around this. Also, anyone have a good link on mastering my own knoppix LiveCD, I'd like to set one up using these drivers and maybe Fluxbox or xfce.
-
Junior Member
registered user
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...masteringHowto
Unfortunately you are probably going to have to remaster in order to get that driver on there. The article by O'Reilly (located at the above link) has you 'install' KNOPPIX to the hard drive. This will give you an opportunity to boot in to KNOPPIX install the driver and do all your testing before you remaster. Good luck!
-
I'd like to setup the driver w/o installing knoppix to my HD.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Well that's the catch with using a boot CD isn't it? (Its Read-Only storage)Knoppix can keep personal settings by using a temp file on your hard drive but as far as installing drivers I have never accomplished this, nor heard of anyone accomplishing this, without remastering.
Remastering is going to involve you extracting all the uncompressed KNOPPIX file structure to your hard drive anyway. O'Rielly only adds entries in LILO or GRUB in order to boot to these files. So if your interested in remastering might as well handle your driver issue at that time. Best of luck!
-
thanks! gonna give it a shot when i have the time.
Similar Threads
-
By tilleyrw in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-19-2005, 01:17 AM
-
By tilleyrw in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-29-2005, 04:18 AM
-
By santos_douglas in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 8
Last Post: 04-22-2005, 08:02 AM
-
By redss in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-11-2004, 05:23 AM
-
By ovidiu in forum The Lounge
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-25-2004, 11:06 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

G-Technology G-RAID 24TB Dual-Drive External HDD TB3 USB 3.1 7200RPM Silver
$299.99

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD
$239.99

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.19

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US
$125.98

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board
$300.00