-
/etc/profile won't execute xterm or konsole
I am trying to make /etc/profile startup an xterm window when the
"knoppix" user is logged in at boot up (among other things, but I
am trying to keep my question as simple as possible
).
My /etc/profile command is:
/home/knoppix/startup.sh &
startup.sh:
cd /home/knoppix
sleep 120 (wait to *assure* that X-windows has started)
xterm > trace.lis 2>&1
ps -aux >> trace.lis
I *know* that startup.sh *is* executing, as I have traced the execution of every line.
But the xterm command does *nothing*.
It reports no errors.
The process list shows no xterm.
If I manually execute startup.sh, it works fine.
I can execute any *other* programs just fine.
It's only xterm (and konsole) that are problematic.
I am totally stumped.
Any ideas ?
Thanks !,
Mark
-
SOLVED (kinda)
For some reason, the "DISPLAY" env var was not defined.
So this fixed it:
export DISPLAY=:0.0
What I can't figure out is why this was not required on my
previous customized Knoppix CD (which was 3.3 inst of 3.3.2).
Similar Threads
-
By pelican in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-26-2004, 09:43 PM
-
By DougE in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-08-2004, 11:40 PM
-
By pau in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-15-2004, 04:46 PM
-
By pigface in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-23-2003, 01:01 PM
-
By beforewisdom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-22-2003, 01:55 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99

Intel Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 8 GT/s LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SR3QS
$67.99

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99

Intel Core i5-13400F 10 Core 16 Thread Processor SRMBN
$126.99

Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested*
$32.99

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor
$14.49

Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor
$62.95

LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5
$768.00

Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6
$10.99