--My question is, WHY would you want to play around with a semi-supported (read: crudely hacked and incomplete Linux driver) foreign filesystem in Linux? Is there something about these files that you can't modify them from NT?

--AFAIK the only way to enable NTFS write-support is to recompile the kernel. And the kernel contains STRICT WARNINGS against enabling write on NTFS:

NTFS write support (DANGEROUS)
CONFIG_NTFS_RW:

If you say Y here, you will (maybe) be able to write to NTFS file
systems as well as read from them. The read-write support in NTFS
is far from being complete and is not well tested. If you say Y
here, back up your NTFS volume first, since it will probably get
damaged. Also, download the Linux-NTFS project distribution from
Sourceforge at <http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/> and always run the
included ntfsfix utility after writing to an NTFS partition from
Linux to fix some of the damage done by the driver. You should run
ntfsfix _after_ unmounting the partition in Linux but _before_
rebooting into Windows. When Windows next boots, chkdsk will be
run automatically to fix the remaining damage.
Please note that write support is limited to Windows NT4 and
earlier versions.

If unsure, say N.

--When in doubt, dump NTFS and go back to FAT32.

Quote Originally Posted by Till
I tried not to come with too newbies question, but was not able to find a proper answer to this:

I'm trying to modify an NTFS harddrive mounted with Knoppix. I'm quiet well aware that this is very risky and not supported, at least by linux (reading FAQs and all) .

The modification I'd like to do are very simple (rename file like foo.dlx to foo.dlx.tej or whatever).

But even this is not permitted. It looks like I'm definately not able to mount any NTFS drive in RW mode.
Even if I'm using the "mount -o remount,rw /mnt/<whatever>" or unchecking the read only attribute on the icon proprety, or event mount manually the file system with a command like : "mount -o rw -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1". In the latest, a "mount" command show me that the partition is mounted as "rw", but if I just try to "touch" a file, the system tells me it's still a read only filesystem.

Is this a new feature of the new version ? Is there a way to workaround this behavior?

Again, I don't really want to do very destructive modifications, and if they happen, I can assume I'm the only responsible of it, but at least, I'd like to be able to try them...