You can either:
- edit your /etc/lilo.conf file, and add "2" at the end of your append=xxx line
- edit your /etc/inittab file and change 5 to 2 in the initdefault line
how can I boot to console, I have lilo that starts whith a "splashscreen" and 3 options : linux, failsafe and windows.
I want to boot to a console and I don't want the windowmanager to start.
( when windowmanager wdm starts it totaly locks my keyboard)
Which key at what time should I push to get a prompt before lilo starts booting?
You can either:
- edit your /etc/lilo.conf file, and add "2" at the end of your append=xxx line
- edit your /etc/inittab file and change 5 to 2 in the initdefault line
At the lilo prompt, you should be able to typeto boot up in runlevel 2.Code:linux 2
linux 2 doesn't boot at lilo prompt, it only excepts the 3 lilo entrys from
lilo.config : linux,failsafe and windows
How can I stop the boot proces just before it starts the windowmanager?
edit your /etc/lilo.conf file, and add "2" at the end of your append=xxx line
- edit your /etc/inittab file and change 5 to 2 in the initdefault line
how can I edit these files and run lilo if I can't boot to consolemode?
Boot from your cd not your hd install, use:
knoppix 2
at your boot prompt. Then (as root) mount your hd install read/write, (let's assume your knoppix hd install is at /dev/hda1) so:
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
mount -o remount,rw /mnt/hda1
then:
cd /mnt/hda1/etc
and using a console editor (vi, nano etc.) or mc and edit your inittab file and in the id:initdefault: line substitute: 2 for 5
# The default runlevel.
id:5:initdefault:
Change to:
# The default runlevel.
id:2:initdefault:
Editing your ininttab file should fix your startup problem, but if you want to (or need to) edit your lilo.conf file you will need to chroot to your hd partition:
cd /mnt/hda1
chroot /mnt/hda1
cd etc
then again use a console editor and edit your lilo.conf file, save it and the run lilo:
/sbin/lilo -v
Pay attention to any error messages lilo give you.
HTH
~rock
thanks Rockmumbles, for your clear advice, it worked.
Only one thing, I had so switch it to 1 (inittab) runlevel 1 was singleuser mode it said in inittab.
The run levels 2-5 are all the same in Debian unless you change them, if you had wanted at your Lilo screen you could have typed in Linux single and had the same effect.Originally Posted by jackren

SK hynix 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RA0-10 Server Memory Ram HMA42GR7MFR4N-TF
$57.99
1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$448.20
Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW
$1.39
Synology 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM 260-Pin D4ES03-16G
$1000.00
Lot 4 Samsung 64gb PC4-25600 2Rx4 DDR4-3200AA ECC RDIMM Reg Server Memory RAM
$2649.00
SK hynix 32GB DDR4 2666MHz (2×16GB) PC4-2666V-SE1-11 HMA82GS6JJR8N-VK
$99.99
2x Samsung 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-3200 RDIMM DDR4-25600 ECC Registered (M393A4K40DB3-CWE)
$850.00
Kingston 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2400T-RB1-11 ECC REG Server Memory HP24D4R7D4MAM-32
$140.00
TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98
SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98