-
How can I make a backup using K3b...
I need to make a complete backup of both of my hard drives using the Knoppix cd burning program K3b. Windows XP Pro wont boot and I need to copy every file so that I can copy them to Windows after I reinstall it. I have configured K3b and both drives are mounting fine. They are labeled as hda1 and hdb1. I have the program open, all I need to know is how to copy everything on both hard drives so that windows will be able to recognize, and copy the files. I read the doc on it already and it cuts off before it explains this step.
-
Senior Member
registered user
As it sounds like you need to use CDR as the backup medium I would recommend DAR - Disk ARchiver http://dar.linux.free.fr. DAR is similar to suing tar & gzip but it can actually split the archive into pieces of arbitrary size called slices. I have used DAR to backup an entire linux partition & split the resulting archive into 645MB slices & then I used k3b to burn them to CD. I then repartitioned the HD & used dar DAR to extract out the filesystem. In your case you would archive the filesystem & then not put it back in the same place as it would overwrite your new working syste. I don't know if is included in the debian/knoppix package mirrors. At the time I was using Gentoo & I had to download & compile DAR myself. Here http://gradha.sdf-eu.org/textos/dar-...i-howto.en.htm is a howto on using DAR.
Good luck.
James
Similar Threads
-
By GCMartin in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-21-2010, 01:40 PM
-
By adamherb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-05-2005, 06:32 AM
-
By monkymind in forum General Support
Replies: 13
Last Post: 08-28-2004, 04:05 AM
-
By Cuddles in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-03-2004, 03:50 PM
-
By mohater in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 08-16-2003, 11:34 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)
$299.95

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell PowerEdge R750 2x Xeon Gold 6326 96GB 12x1.92TB SSD H755 Win 2022
$4999.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge R640 8xSFF Server Barebone 2 x Heat Sink w / 2x 1100W PSU
$315.00

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99